• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Priorities in life and employers/clients"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    No cats, although just about to buy a Welsh spaniel and an Hungarian vizsla, which will obviously, and immediately, appear above me on the chain of intellect around here
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Is a welsh spaniel fluffy and white?

and surely there must be some neighbours cats around to put above client?

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Left out the cats health and wellbeing?
    No cats, although just about to buy a Welsh spaniel and an Hungarian vizsla, which will obviously, and immediately, appear above me on the chain of importance around here

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    My wife and kids first, always.

Then some distance

My canoes and bikes

Then some distance

My cars

Then some distance

How my garden and eco solutions are doing

Then some distance

Is my drive clean

Then some distance

Have I read all the books bought for me at Xmas

Then some distance

and some more

A lot more...

My clients
    Left out the cats health and wellbeing?

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Find inner peace

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    My wife and kids first, always.

Then some distance

My canoes and bikes

Then some distance

My cars

Then some distance

How my garden and eco solutions are doing

Then some distance

Is my drive clean

Then some distance

Have I read all the books bought for me at Xmas

Then some distance

and some more

A lot more...

My clients

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    A company like that probably treat their permies like sh*t.

I've worked for two in my past.

In the first one they treated all employees like sh*t. Contractors were fine.

In the second one it ended up they were just openly nasty to all the fathers as they expected their wives to do all the childcare/medical appointments. They were too scared to treat the few women like that though managers did openly make sexist comments that annoyed the men more than the women. Contractors got sh*t as well.

Oddly as a contractor I've not had a client treat me as poorly then again it may be that I simply don't put up with it anymore.
    Oh yes. Worked for them many years ago as a permie when they were a different company and things aint changed. They do tend to think they own their employees somewhat.
    Spot on about the wife thing too - they used to be exactly like this. It was frowned upon and 'expected' that your wife looked after the family and they were free to call on you if needed 24/7.

They're never going to change of course. A bigger warchest would be nice and I would tell them to stuff it. However, I'm at the point where I dont urgently need the money so if my approach at the moment upsets them so be it. Probably not though - they'll moan most certainly but then realise they aint got anyone else.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Hi,
    Sorry I'd missed this. In your position I would get into Linux and get your head around openstack and KVM. Takes about 20 minutes for a good Solaris admin to get their head round Linux. I did both for donkeys years

I hope your mrs feels better soon.
    I did the Red Hat course a few years ago and both exams. But failed. Kindly paid for by the welsh assembly - I'd been made redundant so they shelled out.

Bummer I didnt pass. Not helped by my mate (who runs his own company) asking me to help out with his customer until 3am since I was up in London. Fair does to him he paid me VERY well for doing so (£2K for about 15 hours work all in) but it didnt help me pass the exams.

Also, probably should have settled for the basic exam and not tried to do both at same time. Reckon with a bit of effot I could re-do exam no problems.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    As bob and many have said I'd be looking to get out , full stop - never to return.

Get your notice in, they are idiots.

I've had it before and told them to forget it before i even started, as I was told in interview (at 8:30pm in London with people still in the office) that "As a contractor we'd expect you to be the first in and last out, nothing worse than seeing a contractor leave bang on when his hours are up".

Yep.. ta ra idjits.
    Yeh. That'd put me right off.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Tempted to point out that a permie in my situation would have just taken time off on leave or special leave and you wouldnt have seen them for a few days!
    A company like that probably treat their permies like sh*t.

I've worked for two in my past.

In the first one they treated all employees like sh*t. Contractors were fine.

In the second one it ended up they were just openly nasty to all the fathers as they expected their wives to do all the childcare/medical appointments. They were too scared to treat the few women like that though managers did openly make sexist comments that annoyed the men more than the women. Contractors got sh*t as well.

Oddly as a contractor I've not had a client treat me as poorly then again it may be that I simply don't put up with it anymore.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    To be honest, my skills are mainstream also. Similar to you - mainly solaris and I do need to get into red hat more.

The niche stuff is just an extra on top of this.
    Hi,
    Sorry I'd missed this. In your position I would get into Linux and get your head around openstack and KVM. Takes about 20 minutes for a good Solaris admin to get their head round Linux. I did both for donkeys years

I hope your mrs feels better soon.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    As bob and many have said I'd be looking to get out , full stop - never to return.

Get your notice in, they are idiots.

I've had it before and told them to forget it before i even started, as I was told in interview (at 8:30pm in London with people still in the office) that "As a contractor we'd expect you to be the first in and last out, nothing worse than seeing a contractor leave bang on when his hours are up".

Yep.. ta ra idjits.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Is there someone important in the client organisation you can talk to informally at the coffee point - Director similar, drop the pregnancy & wifes situation into the conversation and say how sorry you are you might let them down but family is family.

The PM may well be told to lay off if you get the right director (HR ones are best normally).

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    All well and good but I'd rather not be on the bench just as child is born. Money is money. Of course, you can only take it so far.

As it is I've told them the score - they don't like it. It will happen as I say though. If they then choose that they don't need my services any more or that they don't think I have the right attitude then that's their prerogative to let me go.
    This is where a decent war chest would have came in useful, and you could have told them to shove it.

Hope health concerns and the birth all go to plan!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Joking aside though, it sounds like you're working for a bunch of complete tulipheads and you need to get out. If they don't have the basic human decency to cut you some slack when your wife's ill then they're not worth the trouble. I suggest you refuse the next extension, especially if that dumps them in the poo.
    Im sure NLUK will be on here soon telling me to stop moaning and dump them too!

All well and good but I'd rather not be on the bench just as child is born. Money is money. Of course, you can only take it so far.

As it is I've told them the score - they don't like it. It will happen as I say though. If they then choose that they don't need my services any more or that they don't think I have the right attitude then that's their prerogative to let me go.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X