• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bank of England - Subsidised Restaurant"

Collapse

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post

Oh, she says, I thought you were from Burton Hall...

Hmmmm, not only do I look like a Joey Deacon I also am being charged extra for being normal.
    You could have said you were from contractoruk.com, and she'd have given you an even bigger divi-discount

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Bank of England - Subsidised Restaurant

Last week I had me dinner (lunch if Southern) in the Cosy Kitchen opposite, which is run by and mainly for those who, well a sort of Irish Care in the Community thing. The local nuthouse being round the corner, Burton Hall.

This time I get charged way less - like four Euro instead of seven so I say like - you sure that's right?

Oh, she says, I thought you were from Burton Hall...

Hmmmm, not only do I look like a Joey Deacon I also am being charged extra for being normal.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Nicest works canteen was the directors dining rooms at Earnst and Young I used it for 2 weeks before someone pointed out that the temp from the post room was supposed to use the staff slop house with the rest of the plebs
    Respect!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    Average Price increase for contractors is a 42% increase, effective from today.
    That's Quantitative Easing for you.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Question to the OP: Do you know the chief cashier?
    I've always wanted to know what he would give you if you handed him a £20 note.

(this of course coming from "I promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of twenty pounds" signed the chief cashier).
    He was outsourced to India...

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Nicest works canteen was the directors dining rooms at Earnst and Young I used it for 2 weeks before someone pointed out that the temp from the post room was supposed to use the staff slop house with the rest of the plebs
    The Bristol & West building society canteen was renowned for it's quality and value - so much so that they found themselves serving over 2000 covers at lunch - which wasn't bad considering there were only 1500 Bristol & West employees.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Question to the OP: Do you know the chief cashier?
    I've always wanted to know what he would give you if you handed him a £20 note.

(this of course coming from "I promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of twenty pounds" signed the chief cashier).

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Best canteen I remember was the one at Torness Nuclear Power Station...
    Did it serve a morning ready-brek with a REAL glow to it?

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Texaco or Salomans Bros.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Bank of England - Subsidised Restaurant

Best canteen I remember was the one at Torness Nuclear Power Station...

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    When I did my stint at Threadneedle Street I used the canteen almost exclusively, reasonably priced (I was a trainee at the time) & not too bad for what it was, the daily pasta dish normally was the best

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Pray, tell the name of the "best sandwich house"?
    Pavarotti's on the pedestrian walkway oposite the RBS building. Their chicken escallop could feed a family of four

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    No more, as from today...

Average Price increase for contractors is a 42% increase, effective from today.

It is now going to be cheaper to go out for lunch to the likes of Wasabi / Japanese Canteen / local Sandwich Bar than to eat in.
    Jamies Italian in Threadneedle Street

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Pray, tell the name of the "best sandwich house"?

@Mitch - better to be on the gravy train, than to have missed the train at all...
    Maybe he means Subway!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X