• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Half of companies will require BYOD by 2017"

Collapse

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    Bring your own bottle.
    In restaurants known as "corkage". The idea that if you bring your own bottle of booze into a restaurant you have to pay a fee to drink it there.
    While I can understand the rationale behind this logically, emotionally it does not sit right with me.

I say "free booze for drunks".. hic!

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    BYOB ? all for it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYOB_(beverage)

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Previous gig I took my own laptop - used it to rdp to a ClientCo's dev VM with their software installed. Worked pretty well for me.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Hmm. No input from me. I've just been sitting here thinking up rude ideas for what BYOD means.
    BYOD - Definition by AcronymFinder

mostly: Bring your own d*

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Half of companies will go bust by 2017, so I would not worry too much about it.

HTH
    You in trouble then?

Short M12!!!!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Half of companies will go bust by 2017, so I would not worry too much about it.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Can't happen soon enough for me.

I'm currently working on a locked-down desktop running lotus notes and Office 2003.....
    Notes Office 2003 preferable to 2010

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    I'm looking forward to when the clientco will let you BYOB.

Ill get your

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    I'm looking forward to when the clientco will let you BYOB.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Surely it would be more BYOD and use it to point at some VM they provide.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I'm currently working on a locked-down desktop running lotus notes and Office 2003.....
    Ouchie on both counts.

I think the BYOD is driven by people in high places buying the shiny thing and demanding to be able to use it coupled with businesses not being willing to stump up for smartphones/tablets because they are as much of a toy as a business tool.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I don't mind bringing my own device as long as nobody complains about the software I have running on it, some of which can be used to do quite nasty things to clientco systems.
    Like test it?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    If it moves hand in hand with more control over your own job, working at home, your working hours etc etc then bring it on.

All for it.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    The answer to the questions that BYOD has answered is not BYOD.

The answer is a personal budget and a set of standards and a menu to buy work tools from.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Where possible I will try to use my own equipment, but like said before I will try to use a VM on my laptop for ClientCo software

Leave a comment:

Working...
X