• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sorting the Veterans from the newbie's"

Collapse

• Phoenix
    replied
    And no time off for good behaviour?

Johnny always seemed a waste of space, but I love Fanny!

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    IIRC Ainslie Harriot didn't play The Chef.

Personally I saw nothing wrong with Graham Kerr.
    Wasn't GK the Galloping Gourmet?

I remember Fanny and Johnny Craddock. Johnny Craddock once admitted that he was fond of doughnuts like Fanny's. Who can blame him.

The problem with modern TV chefs is that there is too much show biz, and too much trendy balls - ciabatta drizzled with basil infused olive oil and a warm salad of pan seared tuna, oh for Christ's sake give it a rest, what's wrong with some bleedin originality, and cut the trendy pseudo-Italian nonsense. Nigel Slater was worth reading.

Oh yes, and back on the ranch ...

I've had permie jobs lasting 2 years, 1 year, 1 year, 1 year and 1 year, followed by contracts of 1 year, 5.5 years, and 1 year and counting.

Do we count fixed term academic posts as contracts? If so, add on 3 years and 2 years, so a total of 12.5 years contracting.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    20 years behind the bell and bucket.

I remember when Dodgy Agent was a young(ish) lad.
    That was in the days when 20% meant something more than just a cheap screw

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Contracting for 19 years and still poor. Blown the lot on women and fast cars.

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    zeitghost is Zinedine Zidane and I claim my £5

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The one that lasted a week was terminated coz the twat I was working for broke his leg playing footballon the 1st day & sacked me a week later.
    Why you? Did you break it? Did he insult your mother and sisters?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I keep thinking of Chef from South Park, a much better role model for the kiddies.

Oh and I'm a veritable virgin in the time served stakes. Just 18 months so far, but my last permie job before seeing the light was only 4 months so I suppose I could include that too and nearly scrape up two years.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth
    Chef, why have you got Lennie Henry as an avatar??? What's wrong with Ainslie Harriot?

Nothing Euthanasia wouldnt put right.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    What's wrong with Ainslie Harriot?
    Everything?

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Chef, why have you got Lennie Henry as an avatar??? What's wrong with Ainslie Harriot?
    Xog,

with a wave of the magic Google wand you'll find a classic british comedy called Chef!

"Lenny Henry was cast in the lead role of Gareth Blackstock, an enfant terrible of culinary art, impossibly difficult to work for, anally fastidious about his creations and possessing a volcanic temper and savage tongue."

About the only good thing Ainsley Harriott ever did was appear in Red Dwarf (1993), anyone who starts out on Good Morning with Anne & "i have crap jumpers" Nick is not in any way a real chef.

Chef

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    23 until I crossed over to the dark side.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    I'll get around to that one day.

It is funny you should bring that up though, because I've worked under loads of women but only one man over the past 10 years.
    Same - guess that's not so unusual in IT though, not so many women in it in the first place and most IT guys I ever come across are incapable of being decent managers. Women in IT just seem to be better at the people skills that most geeks seem to lack.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak
    Fat, Hairy and Smelly Limited should sleep easy tho' (as well as alone...)
    Oh I do Jacko.

And btw - 13.5 years for me.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    Haven't you tried a woman yet?
    I'll get around to that one day.

It is funny you should bring that up though, because I've worked under loads of women but only one man over the past 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I've been at it for 18 years, man and boy.
    Haven't you tried a woman yet?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X