• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tips for negotiating guest house / hotel rates for long stay"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by sophieotts View Post
    Thanks all, I managed to sort out a room from a lady in Tilehurst in Reading. A good saving on the cost of the hotel, no deposit and no minimum tenancy - good all round!

The next thing I need to do is sort out some kind of receipt. Should I draw something up and get her to sign it?

Do you know the type of information I'll need on my receipt in order to put it through my umbrella company?

It is a second place of residence as I will be returning home EVERY weekend to my flat in Yorkshire.

Thanks for all of your help!
    Suggest you get a limited company luv. Never trust anyone with your hard earned money.

Just get her to sign a blank A4 and fill in the rest later

Leave a comment:

• sophieotts
    replied
    Sorted!

Thanks all, I managed to sort out a room from a lady in Tilehurst in Reading. A good saving on the cost of the hotel, no deposit and no minimum tenancy - good all round!

The next thing I need to do is sort out some kind of receipt. Should I draw something up and get her to sign it?

Do you know the type of information I'll need on my receipt in order to put it through my umbrella company?

It is a second place of residence as I will be returning home EVERY weekend to my flat in Yorkshire.

Thanks for all of your help!

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Oops. That's what you get for posting with a hangover. Apologies.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    A 13 mile drive whether it takes an hour or not is still just a 13 mile drive. I don't understand why you'd go to the expense and hassle of renting TBH.

I'm about to embark on a new 6 month contract in Henley on Thames and am looking to find a place to stay for every Sunday evening through to Thursday morning as I live in East Yorkshire.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Thanks for all the responses guys! Some really interesting responses too

I am finding the HW to Henley commute to be rather naff as was mentioned... funny how a 13 mile drive can take over an hour in the early morning traffic. The A404 is indeed a nightmare and going through Marlow isn't fun either.

Like the idea of spare room - although some of the rates round here are a bit steep (or am I just being a tight northerner?). I also wonder how easy it is to get some kind of receipt from the landlord to put through the books?

I'll have a call around some local B&Bs and see what they might charge me for a month up front. I love the idea of not having to shell out on rental deposit etc, which all the spare room people seem to want around here.

I'm staying in a place in West Wycombe, very reasonable but a bit far out!
    The last few times I've been away I've used the nearest Premier Inn, they have corporate rates that sometimes they let you use, same for TL etc.

When working away I like to be able to walk to work and it's definitely worth an extra tenner a night to do so.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied

I am finding the HW to Henley commute to be rather naff as was mentioned... funny how a 13 mile drive can take over an hour in the early morning traffic. The A404 is indeed a nightmare and going through Marlow isn't fun either.

Like the idea of spare room - although some of the rates round here are a bit steep (or am I just being a tight northerner?). I also wonder how easy it is to get some kind of receipt from the landlord to put through the books?

I'll have a call around some local B&Bs and see what they might charge me for a month up front. I love the idea of not having to shell out on rental deposit etc, which all the spare room people seem to want around here.

A 13 mile drive whether it takes an hour or not is still just a 13 mile drive. I don't understand why you'd go to the expense and hassle of renting TBH.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Have a look on AirBnB, try a few places and if you find somewhere you like speak to them about going direct rather than through AirBnB, you might get a deal out of it.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    That wouldn't be your friend 'Mike Ock' you want to introduce her to, would it ???
    Mike Leavage more like.

Sympathies to Sophie as it's a crappy area for commuting.. Just keep looking for a room.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    My friend Mike has an Apartment in the area, I'm sure you can come to some arrangement.
    That wouldn't be your friend 'Mike Ock' you want to introduce her to, would it ???

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Yes it is possible to get deals, but the time spent is hardly worth the profit. And after a few times, you get sick of it.

My strategy is to stay in a hotel/bb for a few nights then scan the tescos ads during the dinner hour. You will often find an old dear who is recently widowed who need dosh to pay the council tax. So you can get a dedicated room, a friend and a contact for less than a hundred quid a week.

If you like the idea, PM me for a few phone numbers. Cant guarantee they will still be above ground though

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

My friend Mike has an Apartment in the area, I'm sure you can come to some arrangement.

Leave a comment:

• sophieotts
    replied
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Now that some bedwetters have answered you, with appallingly poor answers (apart from moderator cojak's answer, which was of the usual superlative quality), here's your next move.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Last edited by KentPhilip; 13 April 2013, 00:17.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I wondered if any contractors have any recommendations for negotiating a rate with a hotel or guest house for longer stays? Is it possible to negotiate a better rate for agreeing to stay with them 5 nights a week for say a 3 month or 6 month period?
    Yes, easy!

All you need is a hockey mask and a chainsaw.

HTH

MF

Leave a comment:

Working...
X