• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Oh bother

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh bother"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    Ok this is how it is. You've left development- transferable skillset and youve bumbled into BA work thinking like a dev. Wrong. BA is mainly not a transferable skillet across industries. Only easy BA stuff like building interfaces between two similar systems is vaguely transferable. BAs live by their domain knowledge. Hence your current difficulty- you have no domain knowledge- and it takes years to get. How have you ended up skint and in this foreseeable situation? You are frankly a middle-tier (at best) operator. How do you expect to shine in this market?
    Why don't you sugarcoat that a but?

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Thanks for all the positive advice and help I received on here today. I know you're busy people so thank you.
    Ok this is how it is. You've left development- transferable skillset and youve bumbled into BA work thinking like a dev. Wrong. BA is mainly not a transferable skillet across industries. Only easy BA stuff like building interfaces between two similar systems is vaguely transferable. BAs live by their domain knowledge. Hence your current difficulty- you have no domain knowledge- and it takes years to get. How have you ended up skint and in this foreseeable situation? You are frankly a middle-tier (at best) operator. How do you expect to shine in this market?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by corndog
    Perhaps your own advice is best?
    He's not on plan B yet.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Thanks for all the positive advice and help I received on here today. I know you're busy people so thank you.

Leave a comment:

• No2politics
    replied
    Oh bother

It's not though. Why won't you just listen for a second? You are the one telling me I am being given good advice and how I should be listening? Yet I am the one who is consistently being knocked back for roles because I don't have the relevant industry experience.

How do I counter that? "But but but I have lots of experience relevant to the role, I've done this role countless times at xyz company" just doesn't cut it. Unless you have an RBS/London markets/PPI/Cards/Payments/Whatever the lofty skill I don't have is I am getting nowhere.

For the sake of the peace I will say thanks for all the advice, you've been a big help I will mull it all over.

If of course anyone has a bright idea how to stop getting knocked back, and this pertains to how to "blag" experience I don't have to pass the first sift then I would be most keen to hear it.

Not sure what your cv is like but I suspect in lists your contracts in chronological order. A different way to so it would be to list your limited company as the employer, then give. List of case studies. Here you would draw out all the stuff you have done relating to the contract you are applying for. Google Matt craven contractor cv- he is linked to the pcg. Try and watch his webinar, some fantastic ideas there.

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    How old are you?

How's your warchest?

Plan b time?

Might be just the time to jump ship completely. It took 12 weeks for me to go from "where's my next gig coming from" to "hello, how can I help" (and no, I'm not a burger flipper, or call centre chicken)

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Suity, don't forget that we're heading towards the end of the financial year so a lot of projects are being held back.

See what April brings.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    WHS

Change it to something like Max Power. Norrahe changed hers last week to Busty Galore and she's already been offered a gig in Amsterdam working for a fruit and veg importer(she said) called the Banana Bar.
    been there, seen it erm done it

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Dunno if this helps, but I do see roles for software houses who develop for the financial markets. Could be a foot in the door (as the agents will just see 'finance' on the old CV)? Finance experience is often not required.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I am the same, no aptitude for coding beyond putting together batch files for automating processes/
    Are we ending every comment with an instruction to execute what has just been typed? Could be amusing showpage

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    And investment banks aren't the only companies hiring at the moment. They may be the only ones paying a rate you're prepared to work for, but that's a separate issue.
    I can think of a CUK poster who is looking for someone, not in those industries, and on quite a good rate...

Leave a comment:

• DAG
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    You don't. You tailor the CV so that it highlights your ability to be a BA in ANY sector (or even EVERY sector). Then you explain to the agent that getting someone in with pre-conceived ideas about how it should be done, without bothering to understand what the client wants and needs is a really bad idea.

You need to convince them that they don't WANT someone with the baggage of how they should be doing it (apparently, there was something wrong with a couple of processes that banks were following a few years back, resulting in massive losses and a global crash - you may have read about it). What they NEED is someone who can analyse any business and help produce the best solution for them, rather than what everyone else is doing.
    Best / Only bit of real advice ever to appear in General, have some +rep sir

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    replied
    looking back on your posts you have been looking for a role for about 4 weeks,

Man up.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    How do I blag a BA role in an investment bank, that needs, lets see now, I know, experience of back office and trade legs?
    You don't. You tailor the CV so that it highlights your ability to be a BA in ANY sector (or even EVERY sector). Then you explain to the agent that getting someone in with pre-conceived ideas about how it should be done, without bothering to understand what the client wants and needs is a really bad idea.

You need to convince them that they don't WANT someone with the baggage of how they should be doing it (apparently, there was something wrong with a couple of processes that banks were following a few years back, resulting in massive losses and a global crash - you may have read about it). What they NEED is someone who can analyse any business and help produce the best solution for them, rather than what everyone else is doing.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Let him off. He wants to be an american cowboy and is living his dream (well nightmare).
    he's halfway there

Leave a comment:

Working...
X