• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Fortran

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fortran"

Collapse

• Troll
    replied
    Fook..it's becoming a geek and slippers convention

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Here you go, budding Fortran progammers:

Tech Skills That Will Net You $100,000 - Business Insider

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Yup.

And all the interesting features, such as EQUIVALENCE, have been taken out.
    I have fond memories of equivalence.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Yes, it's still widely used in scientific computing and engineering, particularly for tasks that require supercomputers (weather and climate modelling etc.). No contract market, I would imagine.
    There are 2 places within walking distance of my front room that use a fair bit of Fortran. I might still have some lying around from when I worked at one of them:

Still use COBOL which has changed a heck of a lot over the years...

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    The vast majority of coding is done by the scientists themselves (including scientific contractors like me), not by IT contractors. So, unless you're a scientist, your "market" is niche to put it mildly.
    Late last century I was in Cheltenham for a year or so. One evening I overheard a regular in my local talking about programming stuff and got chatting to him. Turned out he had a load of library code he'd developed over the years in Fortran. He'd got it compiling to a DLL in Microsoft Fortran and wanted to put a Windows UI on it, just for his own work - he wasn't planning on making it available other than to a few people he worked with. He'd had suggestions that either Visual Basic or Delphi would serve his needs; he had plenty of past experience of Pascal so, when I explained that Delphi was basically an IDE and UI library for Object Pascal, itself descended from Turbo Pascal, he was delighted and decided to use Delphi.

It was only later that I realised that somebody in Cheltenham who had developed a large library of Fortran code for analysing LF radio signals could only really be working in one place. And that is how, thanks to my free advice over a pint, GCHQ ended up having to support two dead languages for the price of one

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by helpFul View Post
    Your nugatory "imagination" counts for nothing. There is a contract market for FORTRAN. I have profited from it.
    The vast majority of coding is done by the scientists themselves (including scientific contractors like me), not by IT contractors. So, unless you're a scientist, your "market" is niche to put it mildly.

Leave a comment:

• helpFul
    replied
    Imagine there's no FORTRAN

Yes, it's still widely used in scientific computing and engineering, particularly for tasks that require supercomputers (weather and climate modelling etc.). No contract market, I would imagine.
    Your nugatory "imagination" counts for nothing. There is a contract market for FORTRAN. I have profited from it.

Leave a comment:

• helpFul
    replied
    The Demand for FORTRAN

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Does anyone here use it? Is it still used anywhere?

I used it back in the 1980s, but nobody seems to have mentioned it for years.
    FORTRAN was my first language. I first used it from about 1972 to 1984 in academic and, latterly, contract environments.

More recently in 2008 I got a FORTRAN contract with a scientific research establishment.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Ooh thanks!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mudskipper again.
    Will someone do the needful please?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    If someone would do a similar thing with COBOL that might open up a lot of possibilities for those gazillion lines of legacy code out there.
    Compile COBOL on the Microsoft® .NET

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Don't forget Fortran.NET: Lahey - LF Fortran for .NET
    If someone would do a similar thing with COBOL that might open up a lot of possibilities for those gazillion lines of legacy code out there.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Don't forget Fortran.NET: Lahey - LF Fortran for .NET

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Isn't there a Fortran99? I think some old timers may still be using it, presumably mostly in legacy code.
    Intel Fortran Compilers

Intel got DEC's FORTRAN products and development team in the late 90s as part of a settlement for technology they had stolen from DEC. I heard at the time that the Visual FORTRAN product was really quite neat.

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    and unbelievably, a few die hards are still using Cobol!
    There are apparently millions of lines of COBOL still in production use. Think traditional mainframe shops.

USB Switzerland actually moved a load of stuff to a mainframe with COBOL about a decade ago.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Both of which are renowned for the robustness of their models
    Precisely, they are. The predictions OTOH.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    FTFY
    It was a PC! The Power Station itself ran on MicroVaxes (and a couple of Alphas!) and some VAXStation 4000's I think - was a long time ago but the PowerStation was on a PC, state of the art Pentium 133's...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X