• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Permie irritations

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Permie irritations"

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    native born cloggy
    Well they've stopped putting "native speaker" in the job ads because under EU law it is discrimination.

What they actually mean is no foreigners need apply.

The b*gger is they advertise roles in English and the last bleedin' sentence in the ad is "must speak cloggy or fluent cloggy"

If you want a cloggy speaker, then advertise the gig in cloggy!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    When I was in Holland sport meant football, football and yet more football.

With about a week around Easter when you got a bit of speed skating.
    I was basing my opinion purely on stereotypes and a couple of weekends in amsterdam.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    This is holland. Sport means darts, football or target shooting with ping pong balls.
    When I was in Holland sport meant football, football and yet more football.

With about a week around Easter when you got a bit of speed skating.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    .. my cloggie is not up to standard yet and the vast majority of roles now seem to be asking for fluent cloggy,
    native born cloggy

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    The whole economy is now in deepest tulip; unemployment growing fastest in EU except Greece, deficit higher than Italy, housing market collapsed; 68% drop in house sales in January, building firms going bust left right and centre, loads of offices empty, pension funds cutting pay outs and without a dramatic change in policy it's going to get worse. Exports are holding up OK, luckily, but it's really grim. What the Dutch government have not grasped is that they need action to get consumers to reduce their debt, and they need to be much quicker in raising state pension age and in dramatically reducing the size of the government.
    How come we've got so much doom and gloom here then? Because compared to that, it sounds like we're doing alright, unemployment is down, house prices fairly steady (or rising in London). We've got some plonker who keeps threatening to print more money which is causing the GBP to drop against the Euro and USD and GDP is pretty flat, but it doesn't sound as bad as what's going on elsewhere.

Edit: Sorry, I'm not asking you specifically Mich, just wondering aloud.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Not the way the market is here in cloggers. It is dying on its ar$e here.
    The whole economy is now in deepest tulip; unemployment growing fastest in EU except Greece, deficit higher than Italy, housing market collapsed; 68% drop in house sales in January, building firms going bust left right and centre, loads of offices empty, pension funds cutting pay outs and without a dramatic change in policy it's going to get worse. Exports are holding up OK, luckily, but it's really grim. What the Dutch government have not grasped is that they need action to get consumers to reduce their debt, and they need to be much quicker in raising state pension age and in dramatically reducing the size of the government.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    The last time someone suggested permiedom to me I replied with "Are you ******* joking? If I didn't know I was leaving here in 2 months I'd kill myself now"

Never take an extension you don't want. You can always find another contract but once your soul is gone that's it.
    Not the way the market is here in cloggers. It is dying on its ar$e here.

For me its even more difficult as my cloggie is not up to standard yet and the vast majority of roles now seem to be asking for fluent cloggy, even in companies that I know the main language is English.

I'm also stuck with the fact that I could take another gig back in blighty but only a 3 monther as I would hit the 183 day limit, having already done 6 months.

Sometimes the dark side is a necessary evil

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    The last time someone suggested permiedom to me I replied with "Are you ******* joking? If I didn't know I was leaving here in 2 months I'd kill myself now"

Never take an extension you don't want. You can always find another contract but once your soul is gone that's it.

Leave a comment:

• IR35FanClub
    replied
    Do you get flexible benefits? Oh the excitement, coffee machine discussions, i remember the days when for £500 i cold get an extra weeks hols, now its not an option as id lose too much from my invocing. .

Are you going to get on the bike to work scheme, and maybe take a discounted health check.

I reckon being presented with a login to that youll crack. It will remind you too much of filling in a CT600.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    I feel your pain brother. Took permie gig last summer as it was close to home and I fancied some time off the road for once. Management are unspeakably moronic - their answer to everything is to create yet another spreadsheet and demand everyone completes it - it is beyond Dilbert most days. Lions led by donkeys. Phone interview for 12 month contract on Thursday :-)

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post
    I prefer Tight Fit
    Who doesn't?
    Wimooooooooowehhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post
    I prefer Tight Fit
    Who doesn't?

Leave a comment:

• Gruffalo
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Tight or loose fit?
    I prefer Tight Fit

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    "Considered" or "is", just asking, like...
    Well, if you combine it with calling the MD's secretary Jigglyjuggs it's definitely sexist.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    No, that's considered sexist.
    "Considered" or "is", just asking, like...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X