• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Perm jobbie offer

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Perm jobbie offer"

Collapse

• oscarose
    replied
    update

Offer declined (due to an inter-personal issue) - (couldn't bear a full time job working with a geaser/brown noser)

Accepted conditionally on their removal from a project.

I'm back on the market soon.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Well, if you work for a company making software for corporate clients you could get a reference from those clients.
    When I went back to contracting I did exactly that in reverse as it was quicker than getting HR to write anything sensible.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Given the dreadful contract market for the past 3-4 years, I am also considering a permie job.

I have one question.
    How do you move from permie to contract later on , given that you will need reference,
    which will not be provided ,if you jump ship after say 6 months or don't work the full notice periods.
    Well, if you work for a company making software for corporate clients you could get a reference from those clients.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by geoffreywhereveryoumaybe View Post
    This is something I have been thinking about given the slow contract market - if as a contractor I went permanent would I have to close down the limited company?
    If you don't have much in the company account just close the company
    otherwise make the company dormant or put it all in a sipp if you want to save tax.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Given the dreadful contract market for the past 3-4 years, I am also considering a permie job.

I have one question.
    How do you move from permie to contract later on , given that you will need reference,
    which will not be provided ,if you jump ship after say 6 months or don't work the full notice periods.

Leave a comment:

• geoffreywhereveryoumaybe
    replied
    Sabbatical

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Call it a sabbatical rather than the end of contracting.
    This is something I have been thinking about given the slow contract market - if as a contractor I went permanent would I have to close down the limited company?

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Kanye View Post
    I've had a few amazing permie offers this year but found that it can be quite expensive to extract yourself from contracting.

With accrued tax bills, directors loans, retained income etc it can be quite expensive to switch to permie and clean up your LTD CO, especially after taking a pay cut and moving to PAYE.
    You've spent all the company money, haven't you?

Leave a comment:

• rob s
    replied
    Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    It’s become increasingly difficult, i.e. used to be 1-2 weeks now it’s 1-2 months…

Is that the market or you / your CV?

I thought it was the former and then changed the latter and seems to be a lot more positive.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Good evening friends,

Should I accept a perm () role in today's climate.

Thanks for any advice given.

Read this first;

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ritations.html

Leave a comment:

• rob s
    replied
    If you even have to consider it then the answer has to be yes.

Get in there, camp on the boss for training courses, pick the projects and technology you want to have a piece of, do every CBT the company owns and then next year double your rate.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to northernladuk again.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    There are always contracts around - today's climate is the same as it has been in the past 5 years with obvious peaks and troughs throughout - have you been struggling to find contracts during this time ?
    It’s become increasingly difficult, i.e. used to be 1-2 weeks now it’s 1-2 months…

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Good evening friends,

Should I accept a perm () role in today's climate.

Thanks for any advice given.

There are always contracts around - today's climate is the same as it has been in the past 5 years with obvious peaks and troughs throughout - have you been struggling to find contracts during this time ?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    There is always the option of sharpening a spoon on a stone and using it to gouge a hole in your own face.

If you're really desperate.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    If you even have to consider it then the answer has to be yes.

Get in there, camp on the boss for training courses, pick the projects and technology you want to have a piece of, do every CBT the company owns and then next year double your rate.

Must admit, I had a tempting discussion this afternoon - wouldn't see it as the end by any means, just a good way to move into something slightly different which will earn higher day rates when I come back.

Not 100% convinced by any means - will see what tomorrow's discussions bring.

Leave a comment:

• Kanye
    replied
    I've had a few amazing permie offers this year but found that it can be quite expensive to extract yourself from contracting.

With accrued tax bills, directors loans, retained income etc it can be quite expensive to switch to permie and clean up your LTD CO, especially after taking a pay cut and moving to PAYE.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X