• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Suitable gift for Chinese colleague? Advice needed"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyD View Post

btw are apple pies English or American??
    English, the Americans just make out they invented it like democracy (yes I know we nicked that from the greeks)

English apple pie recipes go back to the time of Chaucer. The 1381 recipe (see illustration at right) lists the ingredients as good apples, good spices, figs, raisins and pears. The cofyn of the recipe is a casing of pastry. Saffron is used for colouring the pie filling.
    In English speaking countries, apple pie is a dessert of enduring popularity, eaten hot or cold, on its own or with ice cream, double cream, or custard.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    A tattoo with english writing?

Leave a comment:

• SandyD
    replied
    English tea e.g. Earl Grey, and shortbread biscuits are the easiest.

btw are apple pies English or American??

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    BTW, oriental girls love hairy western men.
    Ok, noted

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Pearl Necklace?
    BTW, oriental girls love hairy western men.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Suitable gift for Chinese colleague? Advice needed

Pearl Necklace?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

Sh1t, I've just remembered Blair's affected glotalisms which made me want to hit him.
    Don't you will get Formant over excited!

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    If only we could give Brian Sewell away
    He is a living treasure.

And one of the last few to support proper elocution it seems.

Sh1t, I've just remembered Blair's affected glotalisms which made me want to hit him.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    A garden gnome.

Nothing could be more British, except for Brian Sewell.
    If only we could give Brian Sewell away

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    A garden gnome.

Nothing could be more British, except for Brian Sewell.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I had a recent business trip to China and was rather embarrassed when the (female) colleague I was visiting presented me with a gift and I had nothing to reciprocate. Her gift was a large bag of Chinese savoury snacks, so nothing elaborate, but a literal "taste of China". Probably cost her £5.

I'm seeing her again shortly and would like to redress the balance by buying her something typically English, business appropriate and that wasn't made in China!

Any ideas from you well travelled cosmopolitans?

Question for the CUK ladies, are there any typically English toiletry products (perhaps like Molten Brown) that you could recommend? Not Yardley!

The Chinese are very much is to retro and nostalgia because their shops are flooded with new stuff. EG they like old folding cameras that can be bought here for £10, fountain pens £10-£20 for a reasonable one.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    She can have our dog if she wants!

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    She can have our dog if she wants!

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Penhaligons are good for fragrances and you can get little selection boxes for less than £20.

Though, fragrances tend to be a more personal thing. Try something from Rococo chocolates or William Curley. Try your local deli and ask if they have any typical English gift sets. Or see if fortnum and masons have a small gift selection.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I had a recent business trip to China and was rather embarrassed when the (female) colleague I was visiting presented me with a gift and I had nothing to reciprocate. Her gift was a large bag of Chinese savoury snacks, so nothing elaborate, but a literal "taste of China". Probably cost her £5.

I'm seeing her again shortly and would like to redress the balance by buying her something typically English, business appropriate and that wasn't made in China!

Any ideas from you well travelled cosmopolitans?

Question for the CUK ladies, are there any typically English toiletry products (perhaps like Molten Brown) that you could recommend? Not Yardley!
    A large rhino horn?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X