• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Regional accents, can other people place you?"

Collapse

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by Torran View Post
    Ya hoor sur you radges aw soond the same tae me
    Ken, likesy, ya doss c**t !! Did ye bring the cairds ????

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I remember this with UB40 when they first came on the scene. But really liked them once I got used to it.

Paolo Nutini is the one that currently grates.
    This ^^ to the power of loads.

Would love to rip out his voice box and poke it down his japs eye with a crowbar.

Where the f**k did that singing accent come from ? Half Glasgow Ned, half Mickey O'Neil from Snatch. Prick !!!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    The worst is that when in the UK or speaking to British people, I forget English words and only know the German which is embarrasing...
    I suffer from that and things like diary entries or notes I take at meetings can be a real mish-mash.

When someone asks me for the English translation of a word I sometimes have a horrible blank.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Now in Hampshire most people can pick up that I am Welsh although sometimes they struggle and I have been asked if I was Scottish, Irish, South African and Austrailian. I think it might depend on what I am actually saying, some words clearly have a Welsh twang and some just sound like someone who speaks English but is not from England.
    When I move back to Yorkshire in the eighties I quickly got sick of being called a southern pufta/softie or simply posh (the latter from the ladies), so learned my Yorkshire again.

I switched back again when I found myself in Europe once more.

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    Ya hoor sur you radges aw soond the same tae me

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Nothing wrong with accents. If anything, people are starting to sound the same these days, Valley grrl, meets Estuary english, which is sad.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    When I lived back in the valleys I was almost beaten up a couple of times because people thought I was English.

Now in Hampshire most people can pick up that I am Welsh although sometimes they struggle and I have been asked if I was Scottish, Irish, South African and Austrailian. I think it might depend on what I am actually saying, some words clearly have a Welsh twang and some just sound like someone who speaks English but is not from England.

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied
    am a well posh cosmopolitan londoner

until i speak to my mum on the phone, then am back to northern

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I tork propper like. not like youse woolie-backs

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Originally posted by redgiant View Post
    I usually get them to say 'about' ... that is a good way to find out if they are a septic or not
    e.
    True. Canadian "about" sounds like its pronounced with a Lancashire accent.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Having not lived in the Valleys for 20+ years my mates back home think I'm posh now but if I work anywhere outside Wales they think I'm the biggest sheepshagger they've ever heard.

Can't win mun :-)

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    Originally posted by formant View Post
    Heh, yes, Canadians can get quite grumpy when you get that wrong.
    I usually get them to say 'about' ... that is a good way to find out if they are a septic or not

My accent used to change depending on where I was living (Holland, Jo'berg and Cheltenham) but over time I have just got this posh (accoding to GF redgiant whos from Leicester) generic south eastern one.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I speak RP, which is dying out so much now, people do a double take when I speak and ask me to repeat myself. The whole country is turning into a bunch of farking plebby chavs.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Record yourself and replay.

You never sound like you then

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Not sure about now, but in my early childhood I moved from Brighton to Hertfordshire to Devon.

When I went to Uni, the first person I met in my halls said, oh you're from Devon, even though I never realised I had an accent.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X