• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bobs and hocking flem"

Collapse

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    Just been told that the team I work in is moving so I only have to put up with the stench for another 2 weeks!
    Just hope it's not to India

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Just been told that the team I work in is moving so I only have to put up with the stench for another 2 weeks!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Send 'em an anonymous email, or better still, from a hotmail account in the name of their boss, telling them to shower more often

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    For the past 2 days I've had a bob either side of me and both stink. So much so I have been out and bought an air freshener thing that is now sat on my desk. It is practically under my nose, but their pits are winning!

Leave a comment:

• mos
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    They are a bit like kids doing work experience. You don't expect much out of them, you don't let them loose on anything critical.
    At Mine Bobs produce critical reporting but then again, they are managed by a guy who graduated only last June. Cost cutting.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Mediocrities are just bums on seats, so may as well get a cheaper bob.
    Talking of which, you still looking for another seat and relying on wifie's allowance or are things looking up in the janitor field?

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Bobs do grunt roles in banks: ETL and Data Migration , though a few BAs are popping up.

I don't compete with them but they are involved in the projects I do.

They are a bit like kids doing work experience. You don't expect much out of them, you don't let them loose on anything critical.

I always have a Plan B if I'm dependent on Bob output.

Leave a comment:

• Cenobite
    replied
    That's business.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
    Unfortunately those who make the decision to offshore a department's work are often those unable to judge technical ability nor productivity; I hope for their sake they're getting a hefty kickback.

Otherwise I completely agree.
    Good people will always have roles.
    That's because good people make a big difference in one way or another.

Leave a comment:

• Cenobite
    replied
    If you are as good as some of you claim to be you shouldn't be scared of bobs.
    Unfortunately those who make the decision to offshore a department's work are often those unable to judge technical ability nor productivity; I hope for their sake they're getting a hefty kickback.

Otherwise I completely agree.

Leave a comment:

• Naaarwich
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    A Bob isn't an Indian, it's an Indian who is working in/for a UK company.

Why on earth would an Indian brought up in Britain be different than a white or black person brought up here? Surely you're not suggesting racial characteristics?
    You have to understand, in my neck of the woods we dont see many Bobs - the people who are different here are the ones with only 5 fingers :-) How you people can swim without proper webbing, we Norfolk people will never understand.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Anyway most of those whose vehemence is directed against bobs are right - in that if you are of mediocre intellectual talent, then bob will eat you for breakfast.
    If you are as good as some of you claim to be you shouldn't be scared of bobs.
    But judging by the interactions I've had on this forum most of you are right to be scared.

Leave a comment:

• Naaarwich
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Why on earth would an Indian brought up in Britain be different than a white or black person brought up here? Surely you're not suggesting racial characteristics?
    You have to understand, in my neck of the woods we dont see many Bobs - the people who are different here are the ones with only 5 fingers :-) How you people can swim without proper webbing, we Norfolk people will never understand.

Leave a comment:

• Cenobite
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishface View Post
    I had a couple of Indian fellows rent a flat I have - they seemed ok.
    I've never rented out a flat but I assume it's straightforward for a foreign national to lie and say they've had no previous landlords in this country and this would not be checked up on. If their English was so bad you'd probably believe they were new arrivals. Thus is it easy for these same guys to do the same to another landlord without their past catching up with them? If they are evicted and don't pay their rent, is it easy to do the same?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Naaarwich View Post
    Is it easy to tell the difference between a Bob who's just got off the boat to an Asian who was born and brought up here (apart from accent, that is)?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X