• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Lovefilm question

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lovefilm question"

Collapse

• sal626
    replied
    Lovefilm have had a problem with some US studios recently, which has led to some movies not being available to rent immediately through post when released on DVD (Ted, Rock of Ages). I don't know if its sorted out now, but is very annoying.

Online content is bit hit and miss....you'll never get the latest movies or TV series.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by No2politics View Post
    I did like love film, then I got a bit tired of the admin. Joined Netflix and reasonably happy- find it good for box sets. But the selection of movies is pretty thin on the ground. They don't even have rocky for christsakes!
    See Unblock Us - smarter faster VPN to get US Netflix which is MUCH better than UK! Only fi dolla

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I've noticed on the last few titles I've watched that the short snippet that announces "unmissable on DVD" or somesuch has noticeable mains hum on it. Very poor.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I've gone postal.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    We see-sawed a bit on the price but the benefit is you can watch a lot of stuff simultaneously rather than going through a boxset and then getting another. You can get your cost down to ~£0 if you buy boxsets and then eBay them, but I can't be bothered with that amount of hassle.

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I've cancelled my Netflix account. Not very much current stuff, and the old stuff can be bought as cheapy box-sets for the cost of 1-2 month's subs.

Which is a shame because the streaming quality was really very good.
    Yeah, a lot of stuff on Netflix is pretty old. I do watch more than one TV show/series per month on there though, so buying box sets would work out pricier (that said, I do buy a lot of box sets for newer stuff). We use it most in the spare room and often for the kids (who really don't care how old the content is). Cheaper than getting a third Virgin box.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I love the Netflix streaming, but I did quite like getting DVDs by post.
    I've cancelled my Netflix account. Not very much current stuff, and the old stuff can be bought as cheapy box-sets for the cost of 1-2 month's subs.

Which is a shame because the streaming quality was really very good.

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Never understood the appeal of Lovefilm. Had a 3 month free trial that came with my Xbox. Never got the DVDs I wanted, nor did Lovefilm instant provide anything decent in terms of TV Shows (no doubt a bit better on film, but I'm not a film person).

Quite like Netflix, though.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    Ditto.

And since a certain major "usenet indexing site" has gone offline, Lovefilm + makemkv make a great combination
    Maybe 20% of the links are broken but as one dies another replaces it, I've never failed to find what I want.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I love the Netflix streaming, but I did quite like getting DVDs by post. Except that the random nature meant you could not plan to have a romantic date night film, or have some his/hers films for when one of you was busy.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    XBMC FTW!

I'm just wondering how mainstream it has to become before installing it becomes an offence!
    Ditto.

And since a certain major "usenet indexing site" has gone offline, Lovefilm + makemkv make a great combination

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Lovefilm instant = total crap
    Lovefilm DVD through the post = good.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    XBMC FTW!

I'm just wondering how mainstream it has to become before installing it becomes an offence!

Leave a comment:

• No2politics
    replied
    Lovefilm question

I did like love film, then I got a bit tired of the admin. Joined Netflix and reasonably happy- find it good for box sets. But the selection of movies is pretty thin on the ground. They don't even have rocky for christsakes!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I enjoy waiting for the love film dvd to fall through the letterbox - the thrill of surprise is superb.

Though the film we watching Friday night was disturbing. A 17 year old girl getting raped. That should not be allowed in any film. Or maybe I am just getting old.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X