• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should statistics be a branch of the arts?"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I wonder who's earning more imaginary money, Sas or MF?
    If you had a higher IQ you too could earn more money rather than basing your whole life on something imaginary.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    threaded

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    It may be a branch of the arts, but quite frankly at the rate I'm on, it could be a branch of children's storytime for all I care

Leave a comment:

• ZuiderZee
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    It may be a branch of the arts, but quite frankly at the rate I'm on, it could be a branch of children's storytime for all I care

Remember he who laughs last laughs loudest.
    Ha!!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Remember he who laughs last laughs loudest.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Quite a few maths degrees are BA rather than BSc.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Is a sample size of 25610 adequate?

Search Results - Contractor UK Bulletin Board
    Cant claim to have read them all, but an initial supporting investigation with a sample size of 710 would seem to support your claim

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    There is an element of truth to your question. Certainly if you spend any time on any of the infographic sites there is some really cool stuff that is good enough to hang on a wall.

However the issue is that to use stats properly you need some prior knowledge of the market or subject you are examining and too frequently a stat or infographic is shown to someone to tell a story because they are too stupid/lazy/busy to do their own research and form the opinion via informed reasoning.

When you do things the quick way information becomes unreliable at best and at worst dangerous.

The fact that people are still tweaking stuff from 40 years ago shows a bigger problem.

A) why do they care?
    B) what's the agender?
    C) how much credence can we put on further work...

This fact that maths becomes subjective then puts it in with the Tate modern....
    This is starting to sound like the global warming debate!

Interestingly that is being manipulated Exclusive: Billionaires secretly fund attacks on climate science - Climate Change - Environment - The Independent

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    There is an element of truth to your question. Certainly if you spend any time on any of the infographic sites there is some really cool stuff that is good enough to hang on a wall.

However the issue is that to use stats properly you need some prior knowledge of the market or subject you are examining and too frequently a stat or infographic is shown to someone to tell a story because they are too stupid/lazy/busy to do their own research and form the opinion via informed reasoning.

When you do things the quick way information becomes unreliable at best and at worst dangerous.

The fact that people are still tweaking stuff from 40 years ago shows a bigger problem.

A) why do they care?
    B) what's the agender?
    C) how much credence can we put on further work...

This fact that maths becomes subjective then puts it in with the Tate modern....

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Do you have statistics to back that up ?
    I analysed assguru's posts and 87.6% of his posts are just insults. 12.3% designed to provoke a reaction. And 0.1% starting tpd.

I can therefore say with 103.4% confidence that assguru is a twunt.

Thank goodness that maths degree(upper second) I got a Exeter was not wasted.....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Is a sample size of 25610 adequate?

Search Results - Contractor UK Bulletin Board

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Well Sas isa bultulipter of the highest order, and claims to be an expert on statistics, so it makes sense that stats is just bulltulipting too. Either that or Sas was bulltulipting about being an expert in it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Well Sas isa bultulipter of the highest order, and claims to be an expert on statistics, so it makes sense that stats is just bulltulipting too. Either that or Sas was bulltulipting about being an expert in it.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I used to love the statistic that stated "Ten percent of all road accidents are caused by drivers who have been drinking".

This left you with a 9/10 chance of being hit by some completely sober dick-head !!

And there are only 2 drivers who drink. Its quite an effort for the 2 of them to cause that many accidents.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    I used to love the statistic that stated "Ten percent of all road accidents are caused by drivers who have been drinking".

This left you with a 9/10 chance of being hit by some completely sober dick-head !!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X