• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The trouble with Europe"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    So the English are descended from the Germans who decided to leave? That explains a lot.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    There are millions of Germans in the UK:

The English are basically Germans, geneticists at London university have discovered.
    “There is no use in denying it,” Der Spiegel, the German news magazine, wrote this week. “It is now clear the nation which most dislikes the Germans were once Krauts themselves.”
    University College London academics studied a segment of the Y chromosome that appears in almost all Danish and north German men. They found that half of British men also have the segment.
    Researchers following up the UCL study claim that Anglo-Saxons swiftly took over Britain and changed the genetic make-up of its inhabitants.
    Heinrich Härke, an archaeologist at the University of Reading, said that “up to 200,000 emigrants” came to south east England in the fifth and sixth centuries. In a study of a Saxon cemetery near Oxford, he found that a quarter of its artefacts matched those discovered along the Elbe.
    Whoops...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    from Interior Ministry of Germany' website

and so by that I would assume that if the UK left the EU then they would no longer be allowed dual nationality and therefore have to give up their British citizenship to become a German one.. oh dear
    There are about 155,000 thousand Britons living in Germany not including forces personnel, and nearly 300,000 Germans living in Britain. I think most of those people are employed and contributing to society in either country; it could be of some inconvenience to all concerned if this led to them all having to go home. Add to that about half a million Britons in Spain, 50 or 60 thousand in NL, and we haven't even started on France and Italy where lots of Britons live, and lots of their citizens do productive work in the UK. I think the total number of Britons in other EU countries is approaching one and a half million. I think Mr Cameron et al will have to consider this in their negotiations as otherwise there could be even larger migration flows than now.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I see that Dave is planning to "renegotiate" our place in the EU. It all seems a bit detail light though. What exactly is he going to ask for? Pay less? Get more? Changes to the way Europe operates? Or just opting out of some specific stuff?
    I guess its been left vague so that he cant be beaten down with not performing as expected during the next elections by labour

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I see that Dave is planning to "renegotiate" our place in the EU. It all seems a bit detail light though. What exactly is he going to ask for? Pay less? Get more? Changes to the way Europe operates? Or just opting out of some specific stuff?

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    from Interior Ministry of Germany' website

Dual citizenship- multiple nationality

Is it possible to have another citizenship in addition to German citizenship?

In certain cases, German nationality law allows its citizens to have or acquire an additional citizenship. Multiple nationality may result from the following situations:

As a rule, children born to a German and a non-German parent, or to parents with dual nationality, acquire the nationalities of both parents at birth, according to the principle of descent.

Ethnic German repatriates and family members admitted with them acquire German citizenship when they are issued a repatriates certificate, in accordance with Section 7 of the Nationality Act; they do not have to give up their previous citizenship. If allowed by their countries of origin, their children born in Germany then acquire at birth both German citizenship and that of their parents.

In certain cases, German citizens may apply for dual nationality, allowing them to acquire foreign citizenship while retaining their German citizenship.

Those who have multiple nationality for one of these reasons normally pass multiple nationality on to their children. In such cases, German law allows children to retain their multiple nationality permanently; i.e., they do not have choose between their German and foreign citizenship upon reaching the age of majority.Persons with multiple nationality may, however, choose to give up their German citizenship (Section 26 of the Nationality Act).

The number of German multiple nationals is unknown because in Germany they are treated exclusively as German nationals and cannot invoke their other nationality when dealing with the authorities. Multiple nationality is no longer a rarity and does not cause any special difficulties.

Can I become a naturalized citizen without giving up my previous citizenship?

Section 12 of the Nationality Act

As a rule, no
    . One aim of German nationality law is to avoid creating multiple nationality through naturalization as far as possible. However, there are exceptions for cases of special hardship, specifically:

for victims of political persecution and recognized refugees, the requirement to obtain release from previous citizenships are generally waived;
    when applicants cannot reasonably be expected to meet the conditions for release from their nationality, including unreasonable fees or humiliating practices to obtain release;
    for elderly persons, if being released from their foreign nationality would cause unreasonable difficulties, and being denied naturalization would constitute a special hardship;
    or if being released from previous citizenship would cause significant disadvantages, particularly in terms of finances or property rights.

In addition, candidates for naturalization from EU countries are subject to special rules.

Do special rules apply to EU citizens?

Given the aim of increasing European integration, the law contains special rules for EU citizens: They are not required to give up their previous citizenship in order to become naturalized German citizens, if their country of origin does not require Germans to give up their citizenship to become naturalized citizens of that country. According to Section 25 para. 2 of the Nationality Act, Germans who become naturalized citizens of another EU country may receive permission to retain their German citizenship.

This rule currently applies to the following EU countries: Greece, the UK, Ireland, Portugal, Sweden, Finland, France, Belgium, Italy, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, Malta and Cyprus. With regard to the Netherlands and Slovenia, it applies only to certain categories of persons.
    and so by that I would assume that if the UK left the EU then they would no longer be allowed dual nationality and therefore have to give up their British citizenship to become a German one.. oh dear

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by formant View Post
    Well you may be asking the wrong kind of people. Anyone who's not just working but settled and married in another country will be much more likely to apply for a local passport at the expense of their existing one. I know several Americans who've done just that.

I'd give up my German passport without hesitation if necessary as I have no intentions of returning to Germany. But as long as the UK stays in the EU (which I don't see changing), I could have both anyway. So the only reason I haven't bothered with a UK passport yet is because I'd have nothing to gain from it currently.
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I wouldn't give up my British passport but I can have dual citizenship now. I just have to go down to the local 'Amt', fill in a few forms, hand over some money and I'll also have a German passport. Don't even need to get married to Frau D. Sorted.

errr I thought that Germany is one of the few countries that does not allow dual citizenship and once a child reaches 18 they must decide, therefore both of you couldnt have both a german and british passport, or am i wrong.. I'm going to look.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Depends if you were naive enough to imagine there ever was a "special relationship"
    There is and was.
    It consists of us bending over and being shafted in exchange for some scraps from the top table.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Was talking to an American university friend ( bright guy, went on to do a PhD in Harvard and was some kind of policy wonk in the Bush admin) and he told me something that always gets lost in this UK/Europe debate:

He reckons if the UK leaves Europe, the special relationship is over. He reckoned the UK was the US "Trojan Horse" (his words) in Europe, its way of influencing what went on there. Britain as an offshore island was about as much use to the US as Singapore.
    So I asked the obvious question, which country if not the UK would be the US special partner in Europe?
    His answer, which I did not find very convincing, was that, given US demographic shift patterns, Spain was the obvious candidate.
    Depends if you were naive enough to imagine there ever was a "special relationship"

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Sir Humphrey: Minister, Britain has had the same foreign policy objective for at least the last five hundred years: to create a disunited Europe. In that cause we have fought with the Dutch against the Spanish, with the Germans against the French, with the French and Italians against the Germans, and with the French against the Germans and Italians. Divide and rule, you see. Why should we change now, when it's worked so well?
    Hacker: That's all ancient history, surely?
    Sir Humphrey: Yes, and current policy. We had to break the whole thing up, so we had to get inside. We tried to break it up from the outside, but that wouldn't work. Now that we're inside we can make a complete pig's breakfast of the whole thing: set the Germans against the French, the French against the Italians, the Italians against the Dutch. The Foreign Office is terribly pleased; it's just like old times.
    Hacker: But surely we're all committed to the European ideal?
    Sir Humphrey: [chuckles] Really, Minister.
    Hacker: If not, why are we pushing for an increase in the membership?
    Sir Humphrey: Well, for the same reason. It's just like the United Nations, in fact; the more members it has, the more arguments it can stir up, the more futile and impotent it becomes.
    Hacker: What appalling cynicism.
    Sir Humphrey: Yes... We call it diplomacy, Minister.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Well you may be asking the wrong kind of people. Anyone who's not just working but settled and married in another country will be much more likely to apply for a local passport at the expense of their existing one. I know several Americans who've done just that.

I'd give up my German passport without hesitation if necessary as I have no intentions of returning to Germany. But as long as the UK stays in the EU (which I don't see changing), I could have both anyway. So the only reason I haven't bothered with a UK passport yet is because I'd have nothing to gain from it currently.
    I wouldn't give up my British passport but I can have dual citizenship now. I just have to go down to the local 'Amt', fill in a few forms, hand over some money and I'll also have a German passport. Don't even need to get married to Frau D. Sorted.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I don't mind taking Dutch nationality but I won't give up British nationality for a very simple reason; my parents and other close family live in Britain, my parents are getting older, and I want to be absolutely certain that if they need me, for instance when/if their health declines, that I can return to Britain, especially if Britain's out of the EU at some time in the future. Same applies to a lot of migrants all over the world.
    Very understandable, you're a good 'un aren't you Mich

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Was talking to an American university friend ( bright guy, went on to do a PhD in Harvard and was some kind of policy wonk in the Bush admin) and he told me something that always gets lost in this UK/Europe debate:

He reckons if the UK leaves Europe, the special relationship is over. He reckoned the UK was the US "Trojan Horse" (his words) in Europe, its way of influencing what went on there. Britain as an offshore island was about as much use to the US as Singapore.
    So I asked the obvious question, which country if not the UK would be the US special partner in Europe?
    His answer, which I did not find very convincing, was that, given US demographic shift patterns, Spain was the obvious candidate.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied

Possibly but it's an American company and everyone I have asked looks at me like I have two heads when I ask them, I guess they truly believe that the USA is the greatest country on Earth.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    I work with a few Yanks here and when comes to residency they say they'd never hand in their US passports and become residents of another country is it the same for the Brits then? If so why is this?
    I don't mind taking Dutch nationality but I won't give up British nationality for a very simple reason; my parents and other close family live in Britain, my parents are getting older, and I want to be absolutely certain that if they need me, for instance when/if their health declines, that I can return to Britain, especially if Britain's out of the EU at some time in the future. Same applies to a lot of migrants all over the world.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X