• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "what can i do against dodgy landlord"

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Find out when he's going on holiday, then pour water and cress seeds trough his letterbox - and hey presto - grassy hallway on his return.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Does the guy have a drive to his property?

Buying him a gift of 25 tonnes of ready mixed cement and having it dropped on his drive while he is at work is a nice way to say thank you for being such a nice landlord

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Buy a house next to him and rent it out to really dodgy people who'd become neighbours from hell.

HTH
    Are you offering?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by contractor0118 View Post
    what else i can do ?
    Buy a house next to him and rent it out to really dodgy people who'd become neighbours from hell.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    post a load of fish heads and maggots through his letter box late one night.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    If he's renting you a room in his house, he's unlikely to have to pay tax on that - the threshold is £4,250.

Leave a comment:

• contractor0118
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Yes. You phone up with a handkerchief over the phone from a public telephone box. You then mumble something about unpaid taxes, Operation Yewtree, guns, Al Qaeda & children at risk.

hth

MF
    just to add to the list, children & women at risk lol

Leave a comment:

• rob s
    replied
    Tell HMRC he's a contractor using an offshore scheme.....

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    can i ask hmrc to check on him ? do you know the process?
    thank you
    Yes. You phone up with a handkerchief over the phone from a public telephone box. You then mumble something about unpaid taxes, Operation Yewtree, guns, Al Qaeda & children at risk.

hth

MF

Leave a comment:

• contractor0118
    replied
    i have searched his name on google and apparently he has signed up his own limited company on his name ( since i moved out thu ) and registered to the same address...
    he also mentioend he has another house elsewhere,

Leave a comment:

• contractor0118
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    No deposit scheme protection is required if the landlord also lives in the property.

Council won't do anything but HMRC might however the rent a room scheme allows you £3000 or so tax free.
    can i ask hmrc to check on him ? do you know the process?
    thank you

Leave a comment:

• contractor0118
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    If he is a dodgy landlord I doubt he would have used the deposit protection scheme, so try the small claims court which he will fail to turn upto because it will show all the things he has done wrong and you will be awarded a judgement in absentia
    thats what i have done and court hearing is due in cpuple of month, i was a lodger and apparently law doesnt require landlords to register lodgers deposit, it only aplies to tenants deposit.
    thank you

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    If he is a dodgy landlord I doubt he would have used the deposit protection scheme, so try the small claims court which he will fail to turn upto because it will show all the things he has done wrong and you will be awarded a judgement in absentia
    No deposit scheme protection is required if the landlord also lives in the property.

Council won't do anything but HMRC might however the rent a room scheme allows you £3000 or so tax free.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Hi

my ex landlord refused to return my deposit.... i have a long battle going thru ...

i reported him to councuil officers because i believe he didnt pay tax for duration of my stay ( i was a lodger at the time )
    what else i can do ?

fyi: he owns 2 properties, and works from home often,

Leave a comment:

• contractor0118
    started a topic what can i do against dodgy landlord

what can i do against dodgy landlord

Hi

my ex landlord refused to return my deposit.... i have a long battle going thru ...

i reported him to councuil officers because i believe he didnt pay tax for duration of my stay ( i was a lodger at the time )
    what else i can do ?

fyi: he owns 2 properties, and works from home often,

Working...
X