• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Home Truths

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Home Truths"

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Tore him one there.

I'm, I'm ........ a monster.

But it was a home truth so I'm on topic for a change

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Well now. Says the idiot who can't hire contractors that he needs then runs for the hills blaming then when they don't deliver what he needs, clearly when failing to

a) Identify the staff he needs
    b) Identify the deliverables

You are already exposed on here as a joke since your recent foray into management so you opinion counts for **** all.

Truly HTH BISDI.

Tore him one there.

I'm, I'm ........ a monster.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Jeez we still talking about this?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I did one where one of the users decided to use a novel data type at the last minute. Half a dozen successful dry runs, then fail on d-day
    on the same migration, a file move failed because the user made a big long path/filename that was too long for the new folder structure. he was only trying to be helpful

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    The business owns the data not IT. As part of a data migration any cleansing of data is to be agreed with the business, the true data owners. IT professionals have a level of arrogance around data migration. How could the business have been so stupid entering this crap data in the first place. Answer? Because the system and The IT owners allowed them to.

If IT does not have buy in from the business and Not are able to work with strong business data analysts/owners then it's going to be a mess.
    Agree with all of that, which is why I always ask to speak to the Data Architect (or equivalent).

I find it quite depressing that so many clients have little or no concept of business data analysts or indeed data owners (of any calibre).

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    But sadly it's often required.
    The business owns the data not IT. As part of a data migration any cleansing of data is to be agreed with the business, the true data owners. IT professionals have a level of arrogance around data migration. How could the business have been so stupid entering this crap data in the first place. Answer? Because the system and The IT owners allowed them to.

If IT does not have buy in from the business and Not are able to work with strong business data analysts/owners then it's going to be a mess.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    You should never try and clean up the data as part of the migration. Trap for new players. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions. But you have only two real choices.
    But sadly it's often required.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

The rest have not done a big **** off, arsehole ******, big bag of shoite, utter back breaking, total runaround, nest of vipers, think you're nearly done but in actual fact you've got nowhere, bag of wank, cluster**** data migration before.

I have. 180TB of data, I did all the analysis, set-up the software and hardware, wrote all the code and did the migration myself whilst working on another project 4 days a week elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Suity's been on the vitamins.

The reason data migration is hard is that the source data is usually crap - addresses in random free text formats, phone numbers in any format you can imagine, dates in text fields, missing data, orphaned data etc. If the data was all nice, clean and well-defined, migration of said data would be a doddle.
    You should never try and clean up the data as part of the migration. Trap for new players. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions. But you have only two real choices.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Get some sleep. You'll probably need it after all the jet lag. Then once you are rested, come on here an construct an argument worth arguing with.

I'm supposed to be the bedwetter on here, right? ******* pathetic that it's so ******* easy to paste your ass all over these boards these days.

You seriously disgust me, you utter loser.

Now **** off and get some sleep you arsewipe.
    Suity's been on the vitamins.

The reason data migration is hard is that the source data is usually crap - addresses in random free text formats, phone numbers in any format you can imagine, dates in text fields, missing data, orphaned data etc. If the data was all nice, clean and well-defined, migration of said data would be a doddle.

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    I would work with EO, and possibly Doodab, and the remote possibly of eek. The rest of you are car crashes waiting to happen in data migration terms.

Very seriously, unless you have been on a migration project against a deadline, and then had to pull it out of the tulipe you cannot comment.

It IS that hard. No other branch of IT will you be soooo involved with end users, soooo dependant on end users, so exposed for not having clearly defined requirements, so much in the firing line for the system not going live (as the code is written and tested, they're just waiting on the data .....)

Troll all you want (and I'm sure you will). A select few showed their scars in this thread, good men all of them and I salute them.

The rest have not done a big **** off, arsehole ******, big bag of shoite, utter back breaking, total runaround, nest of vipers, think you're nearly done but in actual fact you've got nowhere, bag of wank, cluster**** data migration before.

You make the business own the reconciliations. They sign off on the migrations. You have multiple dry runs. By the time you run the real migration it's a point, click and kickback n relax exercise. You seem to get wound up fairly quickly, come on, it's only data migration!- when your scripts fail just make sure you have enough pairs of hands to key it all into the target system and four eye check it.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    B) before A) except after Zzzzzzz.
    Get some sleep. You'll probably need it after all the jet lag. Then once you are rested, come on here an construct an argument worth arguing with.

I'm supposed to be the bedwetter on here, right? ******* pathetic that it's so ******* easy to paste your ass all over these boards these days.

You seriously disgust me, you utter loser.

Now **** off and get some sleep you arsewipe.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Well now. Says the idiot who can't hire contractors that he needs then runs for the hills blaming then when they don't deliver what he needs, clearly when failing to

You are already exposed on here as a joke since your recent foray into management so you opinion counts for **** all.

Truly HTH BISDI.

B) before A) except after Zzzzzzz.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I actually agree with Aussielong. Data migration while time consuming and a main in the backside is not really that complex IMHO unless the people doing it have no fricking concept of the data or business. Like Bob.

Truly HTH BISDI.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Sheesh calm down
    I actually agree with Aussielong. Data migration while time consuming and a main in the backside is not really that complex IMHO unless the people doing it have no fricking concept of the data or business. Like Bob.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X