• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "8 year old girl killed"

Collapse

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The article did explain it though. You could have read it.
    Breaking news articles often change as information is obtained by the reporters. That snippet of info may well not have been there when it was originally linked.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I love the fact that Jamaica is so laid back its senior police officials give interviews dressed in football shirts

Last edited by SimonMac; 13 January 2013, 22:09.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I am not up to this internet thing.

Going back to my point why does it matter that the girl is British? Clearly to the reporters of the story it does matter and I am afraid that it also matters to the rest of us. It is therefore not unreasonable to ask that if she is British then why is she not like every other British 8 year old and busy attending school in Britain?
    The kid was British. (It's all over the radio news.)

She was at school in Jamaica.

Schools do allow in special circumstances for kids to go on an extended holiday, do theatre performances, take parts in films etc if the child is still being taught to the same level elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    BBC News - Imani Green, eight, shot dead in Jamaica

However why was she not at school?
    She probably watched the news from the usa.

its a tough time to be a kid

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    at least yours is well catered for

At my age I am pleased to get any. Just you wait until you get to my age. Whipper snapper.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    No. Because it would make it too easy to summarize your sex life.

HTH
    at least yours is well catered for

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

I find it harder when the UK media say something like "Earthquake. Major tragedy as 3000 locals killed. But worse a UK resident gets chipped nail".
    To be fair to the reporter people only take any notice of something like this if it happens on their doorstep. Their concern is not for the victims but more because it makes them feel threatened and exposed.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Can we please have an "up your ar**" emoticon?
    No. Because it would make it too easy to summarize your sex life.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    Faux horror, sympathy and moral superiority all in one post. If the death of someone you didnt know, who was 4500 miles away at the time, really bothers you in anyway then I would seek urgent psychiatric help.
    Does it bother you whether she is British or not? Clearly the reporters deem it important because they all understand that people like you will only stand up and pay attention if a killing of an 8 year old happens on your doorstep. If the story had been reported as a killing of an 8 year old no one would have cared. Because she is British people like you feel sympathy and horror - what hypocrites you are.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

Going back to my point why does it matter that the girl is British? Clearly to the reporters of the story it does matter and I am afraid that it also matters to the rest of us. It is therefore not unreasonable to ask that if she is British then why is she not like every other British 8 year old and busy attending school in Britain?

I find it harder when the UK media say something like "Earthquake. Major tragedy as 3000 locals killed. But worse a UK resident gets chipped nail".

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Probably not. As it is a weekend there was nobody about to pronounce the big words for him so he just glossed through it looking for buzzwords.

Can we please have an "up your ar**" emoticon?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    As ever - getting someone else to do your work for you.....

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    There you go .. a perfectly straightforward answer.
    As ever - getting someone else to do your work for you.....

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Did you even read the article you've linked to

Head teacher Anne Wilson said: ...

"She had been given special permission to travel to Jamaica so that she could benefit from the warmer climate and we had been in contact with the local primary school she was attending."

There you go .. a perfectly straightforward answer.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Did you even read the article you've linked to
    Probably not. As it is a weekend there was nobody about to pronounce the big words for him so he just glossed through it looking for buzzwords.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X