• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Unusual bird on my bird table."

Collapse

• zeitghost
    replied
    Jealous now.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Pheasant and woodpecker in the garden.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by Toastiness View Post
    One theory is that they do it to show how 'ard they are to other crows
    There's definitely a jackdaw pecking order at the bird table.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Might it have been a jackdaw/crow, they hate hawks & take every opportunity to harass them.
    If I remember correctly (which isn't a certainty at my age) the smaller bird doing the attacking was too swift to be a crow.

Leave a comment:

• Toastiness
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    It's quite amazing; you see crows harrassing Buzzards and think they're insane.
    Have you noticed that the crows make a particularly raucous sound when harassing or even flying towards a buzzard ? I usually spot this is happening from the noise.
    One theory is that they do it to show how 'ard they are to other crows

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Might it have been a jackdaw/crow, they hate hawks & take every opportunity to harass them.
    It's quite amazing; you see crows harrassing Buzzards and think they're insane.

As for hummingbirds, we took photos of hummingbord moths in france this summer. Extraordinary things.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    One day I saw some kind of hawk chasing off an eagle, which I assumed was a territory thing, but they were too far away to identify without binoculars.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    The missus has just now sent me a photo of a pheasant in the back garden...

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I saw a hummingbird once.

Went for my camera and the bugger had gone.
    I saw a chameleon crossing the front garden path in Africa.

By the time I grabbed my camera from inside the house it had completely vanished. At the speed it had been going* it couldn't have gone far but no way could I see the thing.

* slowly and staccato like

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I've not seen any birds of prey actually in the garden (we get loads of Corvids, Jays, T*ts etc) but at the lake at the back of our house we get flocks of buzzards at high altitude during the summer. Never seen one low or up close.
    Near the rural offices I was using until six months ago you could often see various birds of prey. One day I saw some kind of hawk chasing off an eagle, which I assumed was a territory thing, but they were too far away to identify without binoculars.

The nearest I got to an eagle was when flew out of the woods all of three meters away from the bus I was on. I was too slow getting the camera out of my bag for that one.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I saw a hummingbird once.

Went for my camera and the bugger had gone.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    WOHS.

I've only ever seen one green woodpecker.

It was resting on top of a gravestone in the cemetary & flew away as soon as it saw me.
    This is the bad boy we saw yesterday having a crack at soemthign on the floor for 30 mins.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied

It was resting on top of a gravestone in the cemetery & flew away as soon as it saw me.
    I have a video and photos of one in my front garden having a go at an ant's nest. If I get a chance I'll post it tonight.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    My brother has those in his garden. They form an orderly queue along his shed roof to use the peanut holder.

Are they coal t*ts?
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    They are long tailed tits from the name of the photo; coal tits are more yellow and grey/black than these, iirc.

WOHS.

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    I had one of these in my garden recently - lovely to look at!

It was resting on top of a gravestone in the cemetary & flew away as soon as it saw me.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    My brother has those in his garden. They form an orderly queue along his shed roof to use the peanut holder.

Are they coal t*ts?
    They are long tailed tits from the name of the photo; coal tits are more yellow and grey/black than these, iirc.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X