• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Roofing - doing it yourself"

Collapse

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
    Chinese slate.

Not sure of sq meterage but house is only 25 feet long.
    Sounds high to me.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    You do it again? - you shouldn't be afraid of having to do things twice when you attempt any new job - being self critical is a very valuable skill
    Not if the thing that went wrong was falling off the roof.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    What happens if something goes wrong?
    You do it again? - you shouldn't be afraid of having to do things twice when you attempt any new job - being self critical is a very valuable skill

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    My father in law did this with help from his adult age children. He made it look easy but he has had years of experience in the building industry.

Unless you already know what you are doing attempting this is a bad idea imho.

What happens if something goes wrong? Most professionals will not touch a half done job as they might get the blame for problems you have already caused and if they do touch it they will charge a fortune.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Chinese slate.

What slope is your roof?

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Chinese slate.

What Troll and others said.

Does the roof look an obvious mess and in need of a complete re-roofing job ? Ask them what is wrong with your existing slates ? If it is slate then they should last forever and you should just be replacing any broken ones. Get some more quotes and ask them to quote for just making good what is already there. I've tackled just about every building job, roofing would be a doddle if you could do it on the ground but as the others say leave it to the experts in this case.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Chinese slate.

Sounds uppish. We did one of our houses, a 10x7m bungalow with a tall roof in spanish slate for £5k with scaffolding.

You could do it yourself, but are unlikely to get the kind of discount on slates he does. We reckon he was paying £1 a slate and we couldn't find it anywhere for under £1.30.

Bite the bullet, unless you aren't working and have some time on your hand. A gang of 4 chaps on the bungalow took two weeks to finish. £7k, whilst uppish, is a bargain compared to spending 7 weeks doing it, then another week patching, then a further week getting a roofer in to repair the bits you fooked up.

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm Buggeridge
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Piece of P*ss... and don't let yourself being put off by the 'elf n safety mob on here - we didn't build an Empire fretting about "what ifs" and "maybes" we just got on with it!

So have a crack & let us know how you get on

(for £7k
    Does that quote include new or re use of slates?
    Are you talking about "we''ll keep a welcome in the hillside boyo" slate or the modern fibre cement slate ?
    What sq metre of roof is being quoted for?)

Chinese slate.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Piece of P*ss... and don't let yourself being put off by the 'elf n safety mob on here - we didn't build an Empire fretting about "what ifs" and "maybes" we just got on with it!

So have a crack & let us know how you get on

(for £7k
    Does that quote include new or re use of slates?
    Are you talking about "we''ll keep a welcome in the hillside boyo" slate or the modern fibre cement slate ?
    What sq metre of roof is being quoted for?)

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    I think you have probably wasted 2 minutes of your life doling out professional advice there. Because this is Malc we are talking about here and that means there is no roof and it is all fantasy and "roofing" probably is some urban dictionary type slang in his life which probably means shagging a sheep on the roof.
    Urban Dictionary

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

Seriously don’t...

There are so many reasons not to do this yourself, but my top 3 would be
    1. Risk to health
    2. Cost to get your work put right (honestly small repairs are fine but a whole roof: you can’t do this from books & YouTube)
    3. You will probably invalidate your buildings & contents insurance.

My professional advice as a Chartered Surveyor* would be to Just bite the bullet pay for a professional & live happily ever after

*yes I had to sneak that in there, still smug about it

I think you have probably wasted 2 minutes of your life doling out professional advice there. Because this is Malc we are talking about here and that means there is no roof and it is all fantasy and "roofing" probably is some urban dictionary type slang in his life which probably means shagging a sheep on the roof.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

My professional advice as a Chartered Surveyor* would be to Just bite the bullet pay for a professional & live happily ever after
    FTFY because its a shed load of work to get there.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied

Seriously don’t...

1. Risk to health
    2. Cost to get your work put right (honestly small repairs are fine but a whole roof: you can’t do this from books & YouTube)

WSS

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    DIY Roofing

Seriously don’t...

1. Risk to health

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Move.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

Working...
X