• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Where to retire to on a budget of less than $1,000 (£612) a month"

Collapse

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    At some point in the next 10 years the plan will be to move to a new build house that requires little or no energy input to sustain a comfortable heat level.

I'm in a 110 year old house that was designed to use coal for heat, then they fitted radiators for gas heating, probably got another 20 years of gas so it is a good time to get out.
    This, completely and utterly.

We're currently quite low on energy use, but the house was not planned with that in mind from the getgo, so we're now looking at a small holding.

If, and it's a big if, climate change does mean the weather changes for the worse (colder winters), then I do not want to be reliant on foreign companies, like Russian gas companies, who can stop supply on a whim (Look at the Ukraine), and raise costs. Nor do I want to rely on French/Japanese companies building nuke stations. So we're looking at ground source geothermal devices, we already have 2 acres of willow, which regenerates, and we'll expand that, we'll get our own water bore hole dug from the aquifiers (not illegal just yet) and invest in more efficient solar/wind generators.

Also looking at plots with a watercourse, as with mroe rain, we'll get better flows, and cheaper power.

I think if you have a house paid for, and energy in check, if you're frugal, just like a drink everynow and again, then £200 is easily manageable

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Yes. This makes the ubiquitous rain pleasantly warm to the touch.

A bit like Cornwall then.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Where to retire to on a budget of less than $1,000 (£612) a month

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    I don't think the gulf stream makes the place warm, only a little less cold.
    Lived in Annan on Solway Firth for eight years, certainly warmer than Bolton!

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    I don't think the gulf stream makes the place warm, only a little less cold.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Do they get any Gulf Stream at all in Western Scotland out of interest?
    Yes. This makes the ubiquitous rain pleasantly warm to the touch.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Just wish I could find that image of Fulton Mackay with an orange.

Local. Hero. Best. Film. Ever.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    West coast of Scotland and the South East of England are 2 different planets where weather is concerned.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    I suspect it would be cheaper just to pay to heat a normal one, bit like these hybrids.
    West coast of Scotland and the South East of England are 2 different planets where weather is concerned.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Not a new build barrat style house, bespoke built. 50cm walls, energy capture, tripple glazing.
    I suspect it would be cheaper just to pay to heat a normal one, bit like these hybrids.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Not a new build barrat style house, bespoke built. 50cm walls, energy capture, tripple glazing.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    At some point in the next 10 years the plan will be to move to a new build house that requires little or no energy input to sustain a comfortable heat level.

I'm in a 110 year old house that was designed to use coal for heat, then they fitted radiators for gas heating, probably got another 20 years of gas so it is a good time to get out.
    Are these new builds in the future not yet invented, as I live in a new build as does one member of the family. They still need heat, the construction isnt that great, thin walls etc When Im looking at property places with real chimneys get extra points as Id like to be able to have a real fire.

I think a better plan would be to move somewhere that is warm longer in the year. Or perhaps somewhere small in the UK to make sure you qualify for the oh so fabulous NHS and a place in France or Spain to spend the winter.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    I think you are right. House with solar panels maybe

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    I don't actually spend that much money,

As long as the house is paid off, a large lump sum is there whenever required and I get 200 quid per week from my pension I will be happy.
    I think you are right. House with solar panels maybe

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I don't actually spend that much money,

As long as the house is paid off, a large lump sum is there whenever required and I get 200 quid per week from my pension I will be happy.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Free mediocre healthcare is better than no healthcare at all.

And if you're not earning, it IS free. Paying your taxes for decades and then retiring somewhere else is hardly getting out of paying "your share".
    Im a contractor, I dont pay my taxes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X