• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to deal with permies who want career progression?"

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    We have a role for a fluffier for the sales team before big meetings which I think is right up your street.
    You haven't got a clue have you.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    No, I am better than this.
    We have a role for a fluffier for the sales team before big meetings which I think is right up your street.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Suity is that you ???
    No, I am better than this.

Leave a comment:

• sbakoola
    replied
    In all my previous permie jobs there was no career progression, I left doing exactly the same work/system I had started working on since day one. Requests to move to other areas or to train in new skills were always met with no action from management.

I gave up on considering climbing up the management ladder, many firms were volatile and made people redundant regardless of importance or ability. Contracting gave me the variety of experience in I.T. I needed to really equip myself for the real world and to be marketable.

In all seriousness I can see this permie guys concerns, but what can you do as a manager in a firm, its not your business after all, you only have control over your staff, to change this workers mode or type of work or to shove him into another team represents risk to you in the form of change and uncertainty which is why most managers don't listen to their underlings request for progression, sad but true.

My permie job was once threatened when at a pay review I requested that I wanted to work in a different business area as it interested me.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I think I was just surprised at that conversation. The individual covered the role(my role) for two months when the previous person left and to be honest did a horrible job. I then take the job as almost all projects were in fail mode.

I immediately took on the role of BA, PM and sponsor of the most critical project that was in the most dire straits and have had to put in 12/14 hours a day for the last 3 weeks. I also bought in 2 contractors who will work Xmas. I will be taking a well deserved holiday. To cap it off, said permie also decided to take a two week trip back to India, turning off his phone and leaving his own projects to be picked up by me. I then struggled to do so, before getting thuem on track and handing them back, only for him to drop the ball once more.

So annoyingly I've got projects that won't be finished on time, so I am descoping. The hours are presently long as I'm still hiring and there is to much work & were all having to muck in. Asking me if he can pick and choose his projects & how does he become a senior manager/director in the next few years seems like a dumb question to ask at this time.
    Time to work out a plan to manage him out legally.

You basically took the job he was suppose to be promoted to do but couldn't do.

You need to ensure you hire another permie who is similar to him in background but actually good at the job, then restructure the department to ensure there are no roles he can do.

The contractors roles need sound much lower in status than the permies so he can't complain he wasn't given one of their roles.

As restructures tend to take about year that is enough time to make up different job descriptions and different titles for people.

He then can't get you for discrimination as there is someone equivalent to him in the team, and can't say you didn't offer him a role as there is no role for him.

In the meantime every time he asks a question say that you will answer that in the performance review sessions in a few months.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Must stop....
    Tell them to man up and grow a pair. Then twat them.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Must stop....

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Sounds like you are taking it a bit too seriously, like a proper permie.
    Sometimes in life you have to suck it up a bit & crack on.

Got to get a data steward next. That's going to be a thankless role, especially as a contractor. £200 a day max???

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    I think I was just surprised at that conversation. The individual covered the role(my role) for two months when the previous person left and to be honest did a horrible job. I then take the job as almost all projects were in fail mode.

I immediately took on the role of BA, PM and sponsor of the most critical project that was in the most dire straits and have had to put in 12/14 hours a day for the last 3 weeks. I also bought in 2 contractors who will work Xmas. I will be taking a well deserved holiday. To cap it off, said permie also decided to take a two week trip back to India, turning off his phone and leaving his own projects to be picked up by me. I then struggled to do so, before getting thuem on track and handing them back, only for him to drop the ball once more.

So annoyingly I've got projects that won't be finished on time, so I am descoping. The hours are presently long as I'm still hiring and there is to much work & were all having to muck in. Asking me if he can pick and choose his projects & how does he become a senior manager/director in the next few years seems like a dumb question to ask at this time.
    Sounds like you are taking it a bit too seriously, like a proper permie.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Suity is that you ???
    He taught him everything MF knows.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied

Suity is that you ???

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post

As an aside, part of the new Public Sector contracts involve clauses that state Contractors have to knowledge transfer.
    When I have previously worked in the public sector, they always ask about knowledge transfer however they always seem to be too busy to do anything about it. It may be in the contract but unless there is a massive shift in the way the public sector operates (yeah right), then what happens in practice may not reflect what is written in the contract.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Are any female?
    One of the contractors is. She's pushing on a bit. Makes Cojak look like she's a teenager. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied

Bob strikes again

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Are any female?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X