• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Did we go to the moon?"

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied
    There was a 'moon' in London on Wednesday, by all accounts.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Yes. It seemed like only yesterday.

Threaded.
    Threaded getting married in the morning! Ad infinitum!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Any entity that has solved the energy/time conundrum that allows them to traverse the vast distance to get here would not make their presence known, and would be observing our world as children do when they visit a zoo. Probably saying: "How quaint, do you remember when we were like that 2,000 years ago".
    Yes. It seemed like only yesterday.

Threaded.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Any entity that has solved the energy/time conundrum that allows them to traverse the vast distance to get here would not make their presence known, and would be observing our world as children do when they visit a zoo. Probably saying: "How quaint, do you remember when we were like that 2,000 years ago".

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    So your prediction is that watery oceans generally have life?
    Where did I say that?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Europa, Callisto and Ganymede probably all have vast internal oceans, so I think we should be able to find something with more educational achievements that yourself.
    So your prediction is that watery oceans generally have life?

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Europa, Callisto and Ganymede probably all have vast internal oceans, so I think we should be able to find something with more educational achievements that yourself.
    Aside from the spelling mistake, a robust hypothesis.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Looks real to me.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I'm not sure about the hyper-intelligent angle. Hyper-intelligence would either have to evolve as a preferential trait or a species would have to get to the point they can artificially enhance themselves.
    Or they would have evolved to a point where they were able to create self-aware artificial-intelligence, and be wiped out by it. So I think it's fair to say if we ever discover intelligent life it'll be SkyNet, and we'll soon be overrun with terminators demanding our clothes, boots and motorcycles.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    My view has always been that if they did not do it the Russians would have known and told the world.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'm not sure about the hyper-intelligent angle. Hyper-intelligence would either have to evolve as a preferential trait or a species would have to get to the point they can artificially enhance themselves.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    An automated ship would be a plausible option
    Yeah exactly. We can't even guess how many planets there are yet but we don't have any clue if there were 1000 other Earths exactly like ours, how many would have life.
    Even if there were a 1000 with life that roughly followed the same pattern as on earth, what are the chances of one of them being at a similar state of evolution to enable us to have a meaningful conversation? Chances are they'd either be single celled slime, or they'd be so far evolved and hyper-intelligent they'd see us as single celled slime.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    I go into an argument about the moon landings with a couple once.
    I asked them ... how the heck did the lander parts, buggy, flag and disks get up on the moon. They are clearly visible with a telescope.
    Their reply was that a satellite could have done it.

Man that's some satellite technology!
    An automated ship would be a plausible option
    Or they could demand to see the pictures, and then claim they are fake, or that they're too indistinct. Have you got an example?

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    The statistical arguments about billions of galaxies having billions of stars that could have a suitable planet... they are meaningless unless we know the chances of life spontaneously developing from raw materials. That could be even more way-out - a once-in-a-universe event.
    Yeah exactly. We can't even guess how many planets there are yet but we don't have any clue if there were 1000 other Earths exactly like ours, how many would have life.

I've always wanted to know the answer to the question how many times has life sparked into existence on this planet? Is everything we see from one common ancestor, or did life spring up independently more than once?

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    coming from you

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Other than 8 empty cans of "spesh" where's your evidence?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X