• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: apple dieing?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "apple dieing?"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    When apple launched the latest iphone it was not even the best phone on the market. That is the death cross.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    So Joe public is bearish Apple and the Daily Moan are getting excited about a "death cross" with some vague explanation of what it is.

That's a screaming buy in my book.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I think the Microsoft desktop, tablet, phone, xbox combination will eventually be very strong and a lot of people will want to converge to that eventually.

HTC and Nokia will do quite well in the next few years from that.

Leave a comment:

• LatteLiberal
    replied
    I think now MS have released a decent OS for mobile and tablets consumers will find it difficult to resists the ease of integration with Windows. I expect windows Phones to take over iOS in the next year or two. Apple have had their day in the sun.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    According to this they're making a profit but they've taken a bit of a hammering compared to a couple of years ago.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    That pie chart at Fortune shows HTC with a 5% share of the operating profits in whatever smartphone market those figures are derived from.
    The pie chart shows 2011, the text underneath gives details of 2012.

Underneath it says HTC are losing money in 2012, that is wrong.

Do you even know how to read graphically presented data?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    The claim that HTC are losing money in 2012 is BS. They have been posting profits all the way through 2012 and they do not do much else than make phones so something is not quite right.
    That pie chart at Fortune shows HTC with a 5% share of the operating profits in whatever smartphone market those figures are derived from.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    HTC Profit Tanked in the 3rd Quarter of 2012 | WebProNews

Yes it is still making money. Just not very much.
    Its is not really about HTC or the size of profit, the evidence as presented with the argument is wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    The claim that HTC are losing money in 2012 is BS
    HTC Profit Tanked in the 3rd Quarter of 2012 | WebProNews

Yes it is still making money. Just not very much.

Also this:
    http://www.webpronews.com/rim-htc-lo...nalyst-2012-11
    Last edited by Platypus; 12 December 2012, 13:31.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I would think you have to find the full text for that, quite possibly that is for the American market alone.

The claim that HTC are losing money in 2012 is BS. They have been posting profits all the way through 2012 and they do not do much else than make phones so something is not quite right.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    How did you work that out?
    I didn't; Fortune did: Pie chart of the day: Apple's share of smartphone profits - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech

Leave a comment:

• churkus
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Dying....

ah ferk, thanks, always gets me, and lieing.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    And yet they still have over 70% of the profits in the phone market.
    How did you work that out?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    And yet they still have over 70% of the profits in the phone market.

If Apple shares adjust downwards to a more sensible level, it probably isn't a bad thing. But they aren't exactly about to go bust, with the stack of cash they have and ever-increasing profits ($8.2 billion on revenue of $36 billion in the last quarter, up from $6.6 billion on $28.3 billion in the same quarter last year; or $8.67/share over $7.05/share, if you prefer it that way).

EDIT: ah, just seen the OP linked to the Mail, so we don't even need to see the figures to know it's bollocks

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Dying....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X