• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Happy Birthday Atlas!"

Collapse

• teclo
    replied
    Here's some video of the Dekatron and the tubes I took at the weekend.

The Harwell Dekatron Computer - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Analogue
    It's push for analog!

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Nice link, I was actually taught from that AP (Air Publication). I did like the old analogue stuff. ICs left me cold.
    Analogue

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Nice link, I was actually taught from that AP (Air Publication). I did like the old analogue stuff. ICs left me cold.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    My favorite circuit of all time is the pentode phantastron, found in many old radars. I particularly like the fact that you can only fully explain how it works by using -ve to +ve (actual electron flow) rather than the conventional +ve to -ve.
    My grandfather gave me a physics book from his schooldays and it did state that electrickery went from -ve to +ve.

I didn't think that was going to help me pass any exams, so politely ignored the rest of the book.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    My favorite circuit of all time is the pentode phantastron, found in many old radars. I particularly like the fact that you can only fully explain how it works by using -ve to +ve (actual electron flow) rather than the conventional +ve to -ve.
    Goodness me, I thought I was the only person who found that sort of thing interesting.

http://www.radarpages.co.uk/theory/a...ec2ch8p138.htm
    Last edited by zeitghost; 11 December 2012, 09:25.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost

They are pretty aren't they?

I've got a ratemeter with some in & it's gorgeous

Leave a comment:

• teclo
    replied
    Ooooo.

The tubes spin?

That's novel.
    ok so the tubes don't spin, the little glowing light does. Smart arse.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    You'm trailing parenthesis is outside the [/url] thingie, old chap.
    Wtf?

It's a conspiracy
    I reported that bug to vBulettin ages ago

Leave a comment:

• teclo
    replied
    I saw the Witch Dekatron at the Computer Museum this weekend. That's a nice early computer with those wonderful clicking noises and spinning dekatron tubes.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    What?

This one?

Atlas (computer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'm trailing parenthesis is outside the [/url] thingie, old chap.
    Wtf?

It's a conspiracy

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    started a topic Happy Birthday Atlas!

Happy Birthday Atlas!

Happy birthday to the Ferranti Atlas! Fifty years old this week...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_(computer)

Working...
X