• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Have you got a pension?"

Collapse

• kaiser78
    replied
    Only have pension from permie dom although about £60k pot.

Rest is in cash ISAs which is offsetting my mortgage, stock/shares ISAs and second property (non-BTL).

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Calm down dear, it's only your financial future.
    I am using ISA's and a SIPP (v.useful for getting money out of the Ltd co). I wont touch BTL, too much grief, too illiquid, too little diversification BUT best of luck to all on this one.
    I am in wide-ranging investments to reduce impact if one area struggles. I have personal property which is enough in that area but would use a REIT or comm property trust if I wanted more and stocks + funds across the globe + HYP of individual uk shares.
    I really need to increase bond exposure, sort out my rebalancing and switch to more index based, regular contribution, low-fee funds +/or investment trusts.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    No, pension pot is a much easier target. You cannot do anything even if the govt said "we are stealing all the money in 12 months time".

2nd, BTL has proved itself bullet proof in boom and bust years. 3rdly it's very difficult to "hurt" the BTL brigade without hitting normal home owners and the renters at the same time.

And capital gains (if you ever sell) is easy to mitigate, ask all the MP's flipping houses back and forth!

Oh and another thing about pensions. Very likely that everyone will be paying 40% tax by the time you retire, so the money out will be taxed in the same way as the money in, mark my words.
    I've had various BTLs and got one now, so I'm not anti but just for the sake of debate here goes,

1. Govt can just as easily say "we are taking your BTLs off you in 12 months time", so thats a tulip argument. If "we are stealing all the money in 12 months time" happens then it's bunkers and beans time anyway and all bets are off.

2. Bollards, if we hadn't had money printing BTL would of been battered, and still may ( very likely will ) be if interest rates start rising. BTL for the masses and rising interest rates has never been tested due to money printing.

3. It's very easy to differentiate between home owners and BTL properties

4. Capital gains isn't easy to mitigate if you hold the BTL long term, not with the current rules.

5. If its 40% then it'll be tax neutral which is tulip but the non pension funded investment will have paid the extra up front tax anyway

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    However, if all the money is your hard earned, then the situation needs a little more thinking about. .
    This is doogie we're talking about

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    The tax advantages of a pension are big if you are a higher rate tax payer. The nasty bit about having to pay tax when you take out the income also applies to BTL, and you've also got capital gains to think about with the BTL option. BTL is also a potential govt grab target in the future, I'd say probably a more vunerable target than raiding personal pension funds.

Diversify !
    No, pension pot is a much easier target. You cannot do anything even if the govt said "we are stealing all the money in 12 months time".

2nd, BTL has proved itself bullet proof in boom and bust years. 3rdly it's very difficult to "hurt" the BTL brigade without hitting normal home owners and the renters at the same time.

And capital gains (if you ever sell) is easy to mitigate, ask all the MP's flipping houses back and forth!

Oh and another thing about pensions. Very likely that everyone will be paying 40% tax by the time you retire, so the money out will be taxed in the same way as the money in, mark my words.
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 10 December 2012, 12:59.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    You are basically trading some tax advantages (small) for a great number of unknowns, risk and inflexibility on what and when you get your hands on the money.

Just worth thinking about carefully.
    The tax advantages of a pension are big if you are a higher rate tax payer. The nasty bit about having to pay tax when you take out the income also applies to BTL, and you've also got capital gains to think about with the BTL option. BTL is also a potential govt grab target in the future, I'd say probably a more vunerable target than raiding personal pension funds.

Diversify !

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You'd be an idiot not to diversify your investments.

Hang on let me amend that. You ARE an idiot.
    Nothing wrong with that.

I can see why a pension makes sense when it's someone else's money. So if it's bundled into your permie package, or your employer puts money in if you do, it's some "free" money you wouldn't otherwise get, albeit you wait a long time to get your hands on it.

However, if all the money is your hard earned, then the situation needs a little more thinking about. Yes, there are some tax advantages, but it is deferred tax saving at best, as apart from the lump sum (if you take it), it is taxed on the way out.

If you are a 40% or 50% taxpayer and in retirement you will be in a lower tax band, then again, you are making some tax gain. However, fees and charges can eat up this gain over a long period.

So in essence, given the uncertainty and the fact that you cannot get your money out or stop fund managers and govts from stealing part or all of it at some future point, it is really the best place to ensure an income when you "retire"?

You are basically trading some tax advantages (small) for a great number of unknowns, risk and inflexibility on what and when you get your hands on the money.

Just worth thinking about carefully.
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 10 December 2012, 12:33.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You'd be an idiot not to diversify your investments.

Hang on let me amend that. You ARE an idiot.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Anyone here got a pension pot of £1.44m yet?
    No but doogie's started.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Good news!

MPs will escape George Osborne’s pensions tax raid - Telegraph

s

According to calculations by Hargreaves Lansdown, a financial services company, a male worker in the private sector would have to save £1.44  million to receive a £43,387 pension at current annuity rates.
    Anyone here got a pension pot of £1.44m yet?
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 10 December 2012, 09:44.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Tell you what. You sink your money into a pension every month.
    And don't forget to put your two snow tyres on this winter.

At least I'm not too scared to drive my car.

And why would I contribute monthly - oh right you're a permie.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Oh dear Sas, you can barely keep up when a discussion is directly with you; what makes you think you can follow a discussion between two people? The whooshing is definitely coming from your direction.
    Tell you what. You sink your money into a pension every month.
    And don't forget to put your two snow tyres on this winter.

Leave a comment:

• LatteLiberal
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    and lumber him with a massive gift tax - The tax people aren't _that_ stupid.

There are a few ideas here
    Thanks for the link, however it talks about IRS etc and dollar signs everywhere lead me to believe it might be US based advice.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
    I can sell it to them while still alive for a massive discount
    and lumber him with a massive gift tax - The tax people aren't _that_ stupid.

There are a few ideas here

Leave a comment:

• LatteLiberal
    replied
    They'll be so glad when they get the deeds and a massive tax bill.
    I can sell it to them while still alive for a massive discount

Leave a comment:

Working...
X