• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Well done Celtic

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Well done Celtic"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I blame the decline of kickabout football since the sixties/seventies,
    There's always kids playing football at school and out and about. It's only the soft middle classes who are too scared to send their kids outside in case the pedos are waiting.

Probably why footballers are mostly chavs, they come from deprived areas where kids still play outside. Wow, that could be a genuine research topic for someone

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I blame the decline of kickabout football since the sixties/seventies, where most of the British greats learned their basic skills when very young. It's difficult for us to manufacture those skills at schools or academies.

I suppose that's due to disappearing open spaces (as ministrone says), too many cars on streets, and in the last couple of decades too many other things for kids to do.

It's true of England as well, and when the Welsh start using cars and get the internet, it will be true there too.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Actually, the start of the slow descent of Scottish football to where it is now can be traced back to the introduction of the ten team league in Scotland (1975). This was put there using the excuse that it would make the league more competitive and would improve the national squad.

And before 'experts' like Doohg decide to have another pop at Scottish football, bear in mind that around that time (early seventies to early eighties), all the top English teams had several Scottish players on their books.

The strange thing about the really successful Scottish players in England during that era is that with only a few exceptions like Dalglish, Hansen etc, most never actually played professionally in Scotland (think Bremner, Lorimer, Morgan, Harvey, Holton, Law, Hutchison, The Gray Bros, McQueen, Burns, Robertson, Gemmell, etc etc etc).

I fully believe that English football is on the same slippery slope and has been for a good eight years now. Too many imported players in a league dominated by TV. In ten-fifteen years time, you'll all be watching Spanish or Italian footy on Sky and bemoaning the loss of your national league and team to the doldrums of world football, just like Scotland have.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Other than that there is a road called fifty pitches road a couple of miles from me which did have 50 blaze pitches on it but now they are gone, local PFI new build hospital got built over 8 blaze pitches.

30 years ago there was probably 100 full sized pitches within walking distance, now I would think that is 4 or 5.

tulipe state of affairs to lift a quote from trainspotting.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    There was an acrimonious teacher strike by the EIS (educational institute of Scotland) when I was a lad, 85 maybe, It was school out for a year basically for me but they refused to do school football for years before and after that.

It get complicated after that, Aiden McGeady who played for celtic and who was sold to Moscow for 10 million and played against celtic the other night was asked by celtic not to play school football ( he went to my school) big cream puff and eventually Ireland got him playing.

Really the SFA dont have a feckin clue and I dont think I have seen a kid play football round my area for years.

Thank god that Samaras wants to play for us, he refused to be sold, 9 games this year in europe, 5 goals and 5 assists, I love that jesus looking sexy love man. Man love, rampant man love I have for him.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    We were quite a good team back in the old days...

67 winners
    69 quarter finals
    70 runners up
    71 quarter finals
    72 semi finals
    74 semi finals

Then it all went a bit wrong, but hey, we were decent for a spell.
    I know. Scotland were pretty decent too.

I don't know who to blame, especially as the rot set in before Maggie came to power, so I'll have to have a think.

Any ideas?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Yes, well done Celtic! 46 years of hurt etc etc
    We were quite a good team back in the old days...

67 winners
    69 quarter finals
    70 runners up
    71 quarter finals
    72 semi finals
    74 semi finals

Then it all went a bit wrong, but hey, we were decent for a spell.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Yes, well done Celtic! 46 years of hurt etc etc

Even Messi wanted them to go through. He said they play sh1t football but they make the most noise.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    The silver lining is of course that the Chelsea have failed to go through
    Indeed. It's a tragedy/travesty that a 2nd-tier EPL team didn't make it through this year, Celtic are celebrating like loons for achieving what English teams take for granted

(is it too easy to make Scots grumpy?)

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    The silver lining is of course that the Chelsea have failed to go through

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I have rampant Greek man love for Samaras today.

The Scottish metro has "it's a knockout" as the back page headline, cheeky feckers.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    For once I agree with DA, well done hoops...

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    started a topic Well done Celtic

Well done Celtic

Credit it where it is due

well done

Working...
X