• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone know anything about medieval helmets?"

Collapse

• MayContainNuts
    replied
    Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post

They do all blur after a while - most of my twenties seem to be an alchohol fuelled haze interspersed with random people trying to punch, kick, stab, shoot or hurt me in other ways.

That sounds like Clipheads contracting career!!!

Leave a comment:

• RasputinDude
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I do not think I have done Tatton - at least I cannot distincly remember it. After a while they blur together a little.
    Come and do it next year, I'll buy you a pint.

They do all blur after a while - most of my twenties seem to be an alchohol fuelled haze interspersed with random people trying to punch, kick, stab, shoot or hurt me in other ways.

And that was just walking around Manchester ...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Not really. I'm just curious how people deal with theirs.
    You're asking how people handle their helmets? I thought you were happily married.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Tewkesbury usually conflicts with something else, so I've never actually made it there.

Tatton park I get to easily (well, being in Manchester, you'd hope so).

I have fought for pretty much everyone as it happens. I'd take exception to the Staffords not being 'God's Company though'

Any my exception is backed up with lots of weapons!
    Pah - there is only one God's Company and that is God's Company of Tabor (TABOR!) - we fought the Staffords at Tewkesbury a few years ago, (I think Harley was 2ic at the time but maybe not) had a couple of score draws with the Buckinghams and then the Beauforts. Last year I had fun crashing through the Ormond (sp?) line at will.

I do not think I have done Tatton - at least I cannot distincly remember it. After a while they blur together a little.

Leave a comment:

• MayContainNuts
    replied
    You're not a true Viking 'til you've got blood on your helmet!!!!

Jimmy Saville!!!

Leave a comment:

• RasputinDude
    replied
    Did you ever do Tewkesbury?
    If so, did you fight with God's Company or in the Buckinghams/Staffords/Beauforts?
    Tewkesbury usually conflicts with something else, so I've never actually made it there.

Tatton park I get to easily (well, being in Manchester, you'd hope so).

I have fought for pretty much everyone as it happens. I'd take exception to the Staffords not being 'God's Company though'

Any my exception is backed up with lots of weapons!

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    It's not beyond the realms of possibility; although I have stepped back over the last couple of years while MrsDude has been having babies.

We certainly know a lot of the same people though.
    Did you ever do Tewkesbury?
    If so, did you fight with God's Company or in the Buckinghams/Staffords/Beauforts?

Leave a comment:

• RasputinDude
    replied
    Now I am curious - we might have actually fought at some point (as in for real, not on here)
    It's not beyond the realms of possibility; although I have stepped back over the last couple of years while MrsDude has been having babies.

We certainly know a lot of the same people though.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Now you're an expert on helmets as well as economics?
    Not really. I'm just curious how people deal with theirs.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I dont know much about medieval lids, but the ecw types were not worth wearing if they were expensive, because of the damage suffered. They get wrecked after a few years. Much better to wear a cheap utilitarian maurion.
    When I first went to skirmishes, I used to get dizzy and nauseous and ocasionally wanted to sit down and throw up. I found out why when I was lent my first lid. All I could hear during the pushes was 'dink' 'clang' 'bong' 'dingg'
    without the lid, every single one of those was a blow to the head

never did me any harm though

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I don't think medieval helmets were much different from ours.
    Although perhaps ours may be bigger because of improved nutrition?
    Now you're an expert on helmets as well as economics?

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
    I have a few friends at who work at Osprey publishing, have fired them the question, will update when i get a response.
    Wow - thanks!

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    So am I, but under my real name, so I'm not going to tell you who.
    Now I am curious - we might have actually fought at some point (as in for real, not on here)! It would be funny if we were in the same group or something.

Oh yes, and some Very Strong Opinions.
    True.

So they do. Sorry, I missed that.
    No worries, thanks for looking in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• RasputinDude
    replied
    I am on that forum
    So am I, but under my real name, so I'm not going to tell you who.

but I find a problem on there can be information saturation
    Oh yes, and some Very Strong Opinions.

At the bottom of the page they mention the lid is 14 gauge and cold rolled.
    So they do. Sorry, I missed that.

Leave a comment:

• Ketchup
    replied
    I have a few friends at who work at Osprey publishing, have fired them the question, will update when i get a response.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X