• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Fuel Duty increase

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fuel Duty increase"

Collapse

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Just had a new boiler installed and I looked at solar panels but I'm thinking in 3 years we'll move so I decided not to have them installed. There were a few companies installing them for free which I applied for but the roof is apparently to small, which is bollocks as when I rang them and asked them to come out to see how much it would cost me to have them if I paid they didn't mention the roof was too small and I even mentioned it.
    They operate on the principle they make the tarif, so they'll only put it on your roof for free if it's tangible for them to make a profit. It's actually a very good test for homeowners to take before they decide, for it they will not do it, it's not worth you doing it either!

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    We have Solar panels which generate enough money to give me a profit in 7-9 years, and have a lifespan of 25 years +
    Just had a new boiler installed and I looked at solar panels but I'm thinking in 3 years we'll move so I decided not to have them installed. There were a few companies installing them for free which I applied for but the roof is apparently to small, which is bollocks as when I rang them and asked them to come out to see how much it would cost me to have them if I paid they didn't mention the roof was too small and I even mentioned it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Question - is fuel duty imposed as a %, or as a fixed amount per litre? If the former then why would it need to go up; if the latter then why isn't it the former?

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I couldn't tell you the price of fuel and don't care. If I want to drive I buy fuel, end of.

What to do about escalating prices, fuel companies making record profits? No fckn idea but if you don't like it then do something about it.
    WCHS +1

If you are worried about the price of fuel, buy a cheaper to run car, or start using public transport.

Unless cold fusion comes soon, or an alien lands and gives us cheaper energy, the price will simply go up, and up, and up and if you don't like it, do something about it.

There are technologies out there, in which you get serious grants from, which can save you heaps of money. We bought a multifuel energy manager for £8k which was already subsidised by the Government by £6k. We have Solar panels which generate enough money to give me a profit in 7-9 years, and have a lifespan of 25 years +, we have a small wind turbine generating money (it's quite tulipe though and we will buy a new one once we have moved), we have a ground source heat pump and don't really have to heat the house at all. Have you triple insulated your loft?

So many things you should be doing.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    The tax burden is going up naturally because people live longer - social security state costs a lot of dosh.

It's not just Labour to blame for it, but all things equal one party is more likely to tax than the other, and that party name is Labour.
    So as usual your contention is purely on the basis of your own bigoted dogma rather than even the most cursory look at.any evidence.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    The tax burden is going up naturally because people live longer - social security state costs a lot of dosh.

It's not just Labour to blame for it, but all things equal one party is more likely to tax than the other, and that party name is Labour.
    Bollox. Statistics from life insurance companies (I know that first hand!) shows that life expediency has not increased. The greatest risk for insurance companies is that a person will die before retirement age and therefore will be a payout to the spouse and family.

The increase in tax burden in the UK has come about from the billions of pounds spent on military campaigns since 1990 and wasted government projects.

The greatest decrease in tax revenue is from business. Small business pay tax, large multinational corporations crush small businesses and don't pay taxes. Just look at what happened to independent coffee shops.

Privatisation has hidden costs to the country such as rail privatisation, previously BR used to manufacture and maintain their own trains. Under privatisation it is f^c£ useless Siemens. Loss of UK jobs = loss of tax revenue.

F^c£ing environmental policies have ruined the country and cost the tax payers billions.

Blair flooded the country with foreign 'workers' but those workers are allowed to claim child benefit for children still living back in Poland. My local town hall has a separate enquiry section just for Polish speaking claimants! FFS!!!

Coal mines were closed down and Belgian coal was imported that cost 20% more. No doubt the coal comes from else where now.

30% of your council tax goes on pensions for council workers.

Now shove that up your RS232 port!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Are you talking theoretically now or based on past performance? Because the burden of taxation has risen steadily since the war no matter who is in power.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    That's true.

However one party is more likely to make higher taxes than the other - that party name is Labour.

Now you might agree whether it's right or not, but fundamentally Labour are the ones who'd have higher taxes.

Maybe LibDems would do worse but they will never get a chance to prove it, thankfully.
    Are you talking theoretically now or based on past performance? Because the burden of taxation has risen steadily since the war no matter who is in power. We've had a few blips and it's been up and down under Labour and Tories, but the overall trend is up, regardless, amd no post war government has significantly cut taxes, altough they have fallen slightly at times under both parties.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    "The only difference is that Labour is only against raising taxes when they are in opposition"

If you honestly believe that, you're even more of a ****wit than you appear. Hypocrisy and policy-flip flops aren't the sole preserve of any one party, as you would know if you been blessed with an ounce of brainpower.
    That's true.

However one party is more likely to make higher taxes than the other - that party name is Labour.

Now you might agree whether it's right or not, but fundamentally Labour are the ones who'd have higher taxes.

Maybe LibDems would do worse but they will never get a chance to prove it, thankfully.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    "The only difference is that Labour is only against raising taxes when they are in opposition"

If you honestly believe that, you're even more of a ****wit than you appear. Hypocrisy and policy-flip flops aren't the sole preserve of any one party, as you would know if you been blessed with an ounce of brainpower.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    They do it because that's the best way they can serve their own interests...
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I couldn't tell you the price of fuel and don't care. If I want to drive I buy fuel, end of.
    WHS

Now where are the keys to my HMMWV?

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied

What to do about escalating prices, fuel companies making record profits? No fckn idea but if you don't like it then do something about it.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Anyone with a half decent memory or youngsters with reasonable research skills will know petrol started to go through the roof when the Tories introduced this.

Fuel Price Escalator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "The fuel price escalator was introduced by the Conservative government in 1993 and set at an annual increase of 3% ahead of inflation, later rising to 5%. After gaining power in 1997, the rate of increase was raised by the Labour government to 6% per year"

If Liebor were against it then they'd reduce it instead. Escalator existed for 4 years of Conservative rule and like what, 12 years of Labour?

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoi View Post
    Anyone with an interest in politics knows that the conservatives have had to stop/delay labours rises. Now they are against their own plans but they know the majority of voters don't care about "we've delayed the rise" but will remember "the nasty tories have made your fuel more expensive".
    Anyone with a half decent memory or youngsters with reasonable research skills will know petrol started to go through the roof when the Tories introduced this.

Fuel Price Escalator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

Working...
X