• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Been caning my GT 86 ..."

Collapse

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Boxster is poverty ridden man's porsche. Also its something that hair dressers like to be seen in.
    very true...

but if you want a 'pure' driven experience on a budget you canny go wrong man.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    indeed second hand boxster can be had for under 10k with less than 40,000 on the clock
    Boxster is poverty ridden man's porsche. Also its something that hair dressers like to be seen in.

Leave a comment:

• dogzilla
    replied
    Sports cars are rarely sensible purchases. Arguing over the merits of buying a new Toyota or used Porsche are pointless because people buy sports cars with their heart no their ******* accounting head on.

There are many reasons why buying a newer car might make sense depending on your situation. (insurance, fuel economy, running costs)

Secondly modern petrols engines don't really need running in. So I wouldn't bother too much unless you intend to keep the car for 10+ years and do 100k+ miles. I have had a few high performance engines in my time and I always ragged them from day 1 and never had a problem.

The only time when i have run an engine in is when I picked up my last car which has a 3.0 twin turbo diesel engine. The fuel economy was horrendous for the first 3000 miles and it's slowly been getting better. Putting my foot down was like pissing fuel. I think it's something to do with the fact diesels are high compression and so the engines are much "tighter" and need more running in than an equivalent petrol engine.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    911 Carrera it is then. Or Boxster/Caymen if you prefer it.
    indeed second hand boxster can be had for under 10k with less than 40,000 on the clock

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    911 Carrera it is then. Or Boxster/Caymen if you prefer it.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    We're talking the E90 V8 M3 not the E46 straight six jobby.
    Not worth the hassle IMHO. A fortune to keep on the road, <20mpg, massive insurance and maintenance. Dubious reliability. Quite admired/messed with by chavs/criminal types. Common.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    We're talking the E90 V8 M3 not the E46 straight six jobby.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    I think it's probably the exception to the rule. I have been in a few, including a mad dog csl and was impressed with them all.

Which 'E' model are we talking?
    It will not be as reliable as a Jap car that's for sure. From a user forum.

"E46 M3. Would you call it reliable?

I'm asking because I've been doing a lot of searching on the forum (rather than opening a thread for every Q that I have like a total newbie).
    Seems like the amount of serious mechanical work that I gather that a lot of owners are willing to accept is huge!
    That is, IMHO, compounded by the fact that most cars here are somewhat low on mileage or at least under the 12K/yr average.
    "

3 series also is the least reliable 4 to 8 year old car
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...able-cars.html

Given both those factors I'd avoid a >3 year old M3 like the plague
    Last edited by ZARDOZ; 1 November 2012, 11:09.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    911 worth considering but the M3 would be nothing but a money pit. A mate has one, I'm not convinced by the build quality and he's spent a fortune on it. Always seems to be something going wrong.
    I think it's probably the exception to the rule. I have been in a few, including a mad dog csl and was impressed with them all.

Which 'E' model are we talking?

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Was thinking the same thing, for that sort of money you could be driving a 911 or M3 which would not depreciate as much as the major drop is already factored in, and is a much better car all round.

911 worth considering but the M3 would be nothing but a money pit. A mate has one, I'm not convinced by the build quality and he's spent a fortune on it. Always seems to be something going wrong.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I am already 6 years behind my own schedule!
    Is that the one where you'd lose your virginity by 35?

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Was thinking the same thing, for that sort of money you could be driving a 911 or M3 which would not depreciate as much as the major drop is already factored in, and is a much better car all round.

The Toyota looks like a cheap Kia or Hyundai and that interior I've seen better quality in a Lada.
    It's not a well thought out purchase, imo, and you could have a 911 or M3 which wouldn't drop that much money. You could get an M3 CSL for that money and not lose a penny over the next 5 years and a 911 if sold within a year would drop nothing too.

No, there are a lot more cars about for that type of money that would be better in almost every measurable.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post

£25k on a japanese high volume sports car wouldn't be the thing I'd do if I was spending it. Be worth 15 next year, and 10 within 3. Might be fun, but you could buy more fun with a 2 year old M3

The Toyota looks like a cheap Kia or Hyundai and that interior I've seen better quality in a Lada.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I am amused really. All this cock waving over a car which would be around £25k I guess. So what?

As for running in, you don't really need to. You used to have to in the old days, as tolerances weren't uniform and each engine would be different, so you really did need to take it easy for a few thousand miles, to settle everything. I know, I didn't in a spanking new Fiat 1800 and blew it to bits within 200 miles. Nowadays, a small run of say 100 miles sees the engine worn in, as the tolerances are almost blue print.

As an aside, F1 engines are almost siezed from the get go as you have no tolerance gaps.

£25k on a japanese high volume sports car wouldn't be the thing I'd do if I was spending it. Be worth 15 next year, and 10 within 3. Might be fun, but you could buy more fun with a 2 year old M3

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Is this the same sasguru that said anyone buying a brand new car is a cretin due to instant depreciation and only buys appreciating assets like all sensible wealthy types?

If admin introduced some rule whereby CUK posts had to be factual, you'd have f**k all to read while you were meant to be working. Well, that's what Phil Lynott told me in the bar last night.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X