• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Been caning my GT 86 ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    911 worth considering but the M3 would be nothing but a money pit. A mate has one, I'm not convinced by the build quality and he's spent a fortune on it. Always seems to be something going wrong.
    I think it's probably the exception to the rule. I have been in a few, including a mad dog csl and was impressed with them all.

Which 'E' model are we talking?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      I think it's probably the exception to the rule. I have been in a few, including a mad dog csl and was impressed with them all.

Which 'E' model are we talking?
      It will not be as reliable as a Jap car that's for sure. From a user forum.

"E46 M3. Would you call it reliable?

I'm asking because I've been doing a lot of searching on the forum (rather than opening a thread for every Q that I have like a total newbie).
      Seems like the amount of serious mechanical work that I gather that a lot of owners are willing to accept is huge!
      That is, IMHO, compounded by the fact that most cars here are somewhat low on mileage or at least under the 12K/yr average.
      "

3 series also is the least reliable 4 to 8 year old car
      http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...able-cars.html

Given both those factors I'd avoid a >3 year old M3 like the plague
      Last edited by ZARDOZ; 1 November 2012, 11:09.

Comment

We're talking the E90 V8 M3 not the E46 straight six jobby.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          We're talking the E90 V8 M3 not the E46 straight six jobby.
          Not worth the hassle IMHO. A fortune to keep on the road, <20mpg, massive insurance and maintenance. Dubious reliability. Quite admired/messed with by chavs/criminal types. Common.

Comment

911 Carrera it is then. Or Boxster/Caymen if you prefer it.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              911 Carrera it is then. Or Boxster/Caymen if you prefer it.
              indeed second hand boxster can be had for under 10k with less than 40,000 on the clock

Comment

Sports cars are rarely sensible purchases. Arguing over the merits of buying a new Toyota or used Porsche are pointless because people buy sports cars with their heart no their ******* accounting head on.

There are many reasons why buying a newer car might make sense depending on your situation. (insurance, fuel economy, running costs)

Secondly modern petrols engines don't really need running in. So I wouldn't bother too much unless you intend to keep the car for 10+ years and do 100k+ miles. I have had a few high performance engines in my time and I always ragged them from day 1 and never had a problem.

The only time when i have run an engine in is when I picked up my last car which has a 3.0 twin turbo diesel engine. The fuel economy was horrendous for the first 3000 miles and it's slowly been getting better. Putting my foot down was like pissing fuel. I think it's something to do with the fact diesels are high compression and so the engines are much "tighter" and need more running in than an equivalent petrol engine.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  indeed second hand boxster can be had for under 10k with less than 40,000 on the clock
                  Boxster is poverty ridden man's porsche. Also its something that hair dressers like to be seen in.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    Boxster is poverty ridden man's porsche. Also its something that hair dressers like to be seen in.
                    very true...

but if you want a 'pure' driven experience on a budget you canny go wrong man.

Comment

Working...
                    X