• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: John Major

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "John Major"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    At least I dont
    You think?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    I do.
    At least I dont

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    At least I dont need to have the last word all the time
    I do.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Less than you like to imagine, thankfully.
    At least I dont need to have the last word all the time

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    We have a lot in common
    Less than you like to imagine, thankfully.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    You cant help yourself can you? Tory Boy
    We have a lot in common

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    You wouldnt buy anything if it was'nt for her freeing up the markets for people like you to become part of the worlds top 1% of richest people.
    You cant help yourself can you? Tory Boy

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    BBC News | Ever closer union? The UK and Europe

So it turned out that Europe, ultimately, was the rock which sank the Thatcher premiership.

But ironically it was Prime Minister Thatcher who in 1987 signed the Single European Act - the landmark treaty from which much of the EU's future integration has flown.

In later years she bitterly protested that she was misled as to its meaning.

So either she knew what she was doing or she was so useless that she let the Europeans get one over on her. Seems an odd complaint from someone who was supposed to be so invincible "ooooo don't blame me, them natsy continentals told a load of fibs" I don't buy it.
    That wouldn't qualify for the little black book then, would it.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

So it turned out that Europe, ultimately, was the rock which sank the Thatcher premiership.

But ironically it was Prime Minister Thatcher who in 1987 signed the Single European Act - the landmark treaty from which much of the EU's future integration has flown.

So either she knew what she was doing or she was so useless that she let the Europeans get one over on her. Seems an odd complaint from someone who was supposed to be so invincible "ooooo don't blame me, them natsy continentals told a load of fibs" I don't buy it.
    You wouldnt buy anything if it was'nt for her freeing up the markets for people like you to become part of the worlds top 1% of richest people.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

Thatcher, no.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Can an economy with a deficit be in good health?
    While the defecit is growing - its not a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    So you'd better add Thatcher (single European Act)
    and Major (Maastricht Treaty)

to your "little book"
    Little black book.

Major would get an honororary mention, not only for that but also for ERM even if he didn't start it. However, that disaster did more than anything to keep the UK out of the common currency, so he gets into the white book too, even if he didn't mean it.

Thatcher, no.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    And I would be thanking him now if it had remained an European Economic Community.

Which is all we actually wanted.

But it didn't, and he knew it wouldn't, so he's in my little black book.
    So you'd better add Thatcher (single European Act)
    and Major (Maastricht Treaty)

to your "little book"

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    It depends on a lot of other circumstances, but I believe it can be.

Not in the 'good times' though, which was the biggest cause of today's problems. That's when you should be running a surplus to save up for the 'bad times'.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    . Whether he left a deficit or not does not matter the fact is that he left the economy in good health. .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X