• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Chickened out. Heating finally switched on."

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Why is it wasteful to be warm? That's a basic human need.
    No it isn't, you southern pansy.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Though I sit in here with every window in the lab wide open and wonder a bit about that.
    That reminds me of one of my first contracts. I arrived one morning to find the permies wearing coats and scarves, and threatening to go on strike because the heating had packed up.

Once I'd got my first mug of coffee down I was perfectly comfortable working in shirt sleeves.

In fact I was more comfortable than when the heating was working.

I hate stuffy offices.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Just because you have the money doesn't mean you have to be wasteful.
    Why is it wasteful to be warm? That's a basic human need.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    I think it got down to 9 inside my home office before I gave in last year, or maybe was the year before. I was seriously debating getting gloves for typing but luckily had a plug-in heater (didn't want to heat the whole house).
    One of my best investments in the early 90s was a gas fire for my home office.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Electric blanket. I find a cold room makes a warm bed seem far nicer than just having a warm room to start with.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    It's the climbing in to a cold bed every night that eventually got to me - 5 mins of uncontrollable shivering and pain!
    Goosedown duvet, you'll be toasty in no time

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Just because you have the money doesn't mean you have to be wasteful.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I really don't understand you guys - surely you're contractors and don't have to live like cavemen?
    My butler ensures the house is a nice minimum 18-20 degrees all year round.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    I think it got down to 9 inside my home office before I gave in last year, or maybe was the year before. I was seriously debating getting gloves for typing but luckily had a plug-in heater (didn't want to heat the whole house).
    It's the climbing in to a cold bed every night that eventually got to me - 5 mins of uncontrollable shivering and pain!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Surely that's not real.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    get some usb heated gloves

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Not putting mine on until the temp gets below 7°C. Just to protect the wallpaper!

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Heating on?

I reckon there is still 6 weeks worth of cycling to work in shorts. Stuff the heating.
    WBPS.

I still cycle in shorts and sleeveless shirt until temp drops to 6/7°C.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Heating on?

I reckon there is still 6 weeks worth of cycling to work in shorts. Stuff the heating.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    What would she know? Norrahe's the expert on this
    'tis probably why I my attention subconsciously turned to someone else

Leave a comment:

Working...
X