• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CRB vetting to watch your kids play sport?"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Jeez
    just imagine asking a skoolie in netball gear if she prefered being taken in the tadpole entrance or via the back alley

you'd be eating porridge for ten years

Not if you were asking at the 6th form college. Though you would still be a collosal pervert. Unless you are 18.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Jeez
    just imagine asking a skoolie in netball gear if she prefered being taken in the tadpole entrance or via the back alley

you'd be eating porridge for ten years

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Imagine? It's standard practice round these 'ere parts, dontcha know.
    I thought on cuk it was how much one's butler's house is worth?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Imagine having to introduce yourself including how much your house is worth.
    Imagine? It's standard practice round these 'ere parts, dontcha know.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I don't want to live in a world where the Daily Mail is right
    +1

Imagine having to introduce yourself including how much your house is worth.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I find myself in the unusual position of having to defend the Mail

According to comments on the local paper's website, the school's statement about access via Tadpole Lane is disingenuous in implying that this was always the case, and that there was never any CRB check requirement. Here's the story, and examples of the comments include:
    "A reminder of what they said in the Isambard Newsletter sent to all parents: 'Parents wishing to spectate at our sports fixtures MUST be in possession of an up to date Swindon Borough Council CRB check'… <stuff about procedures snipped> Would someone please show me where it mentions Tadpole Lane there?"
    "I managed to watch my son play football for the school team a few times last year by entering by the tadpole lane gate. However I was not told I could get in this way by the school, my son told me that the football coach would open the gate to allow parents in. The school told me that I had to be CRB checked before I could watch him play. This is pretty typical of the school to attempt to make out they are doing something the right way, when they are clearly just being a pain."

So it looks as if, on this occasion, the Mail was right (or at least rightish) and the school is trying to wriggle out of it.

I'm now off to check those Mayan prophecies and watch some 9-11 conspiracy videos: in a world where a story in the Mail is found to be true, anything could be…
    I don't want to live in a world where the Daily Mail is right

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
    So, just make sure you use the Tadpole Lane entrance and all is well. Apparently.
    So just shoddy reporting from the wail then? I suppose it is to be expected.
    I find myself in the unusual position of having to defend the Mail

According to comments on the local paper's website, the school's statement about access via Tadpole Lane is disingenuous in implying that this was always the case, and that there was never any CRB check requirement. Here's the story, and examples of the comments include:
    "A reminder of what they said in the Isambard Newsletter sent to all parents: 'Parents wishing to spectate at our sports fixtures MUST be in possession of an up to date Swindon Borough Council CRB check'… <stuff about procedures snipped> Would someone please show me where it mentions Tadpole Lane there?"
    "I managed to watch my son play football for the school team a few times last year by entering by the tadpole lane gate. However I was not told I could get in this way by the school, my son told me that the football coach would open the gate to allow parents in. The school told me that I had to be CRB checked before I could watch him play. This is pretty typical of the school to attempt to make out they are doing something the right way, when they are clearly just being a pain."

So it looks as if, on this occasion, the Mail was right (or at least rightish) and the school is trying to wriggle out of it.

I'm now off to check those Mayan prophecies and watch some 9-11 conspiracy videos: in a world where a story in the Mail is found to be true, anything could be…

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    You seem to know a lot about this, something to confess?
    Confess that I know a few teachers including head teachers?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

They are relying on safety in numbers.

If you go for one kid the rest are likely to fight you.
    You seem to know a lot about this, something to confess?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I was just at the Queen Mother leisure centre by Victoria Station. In the shared changing rooms there was a group of about 10 boys aged around 8-11 getting changed. No male teacher of course - they seem to be virtually excluded from primary schools (mores the pity).
    Schools jump at the chance to have male primary school teachers.

Unfortunately the teacher gets stuck with all the boys who are delinquent and don't have a good male role model at home.

Struck me as being a nonce's dream - though no-one seemed to be paying them any attention. Maybe all those using shared changing rooms need CRB checks?

Though a better solution is cubicles.....
    They are relying on safety in numbers.

If you go for one kid the rest are likely to fight you.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    It's been commonplace for parents to be disallowed to take photos during nativities as they might fall into "the wrong hands".

Hate this stuff. You can't even get a CRB check unless someone requests it for you.

The school should foot the cost and check all parents if it wants to be like this, and it'll soon change its mind.

Scare story imo.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    TSA hires a priest excluded from clergy for child molestation &mdash; RT

In 2002, Thomas Harkins was permanently removed by the Catholic Church after 20-plus years of allegations that the former clergyman had molested children at parishes across the East Coast. Today, he’s your friendly TSA agent.

The Church reached out to the TSA and told the federal agency of Harkins’ sordid pass — which includes several allegations that suggest the priest molested young girls as early as 1979. He was transferred in 2000 to a prison to serve as a chaplain there and, two years later, permanently removed from the Catholic community.

As a TSA agent, Harkins touched passengers — children and adults, alike — until 2004. At that point, the Philadelphia Inquirer has learned, he was promoted to a supervising provision where he remains today, overseeing checked baggage. Now he maintains a quiet life as a federal security staffer, despite once looking at a life in jail for a series of sex crimes.

I am always suspicious of airport security guards wanting a fondle when I go through Heathrow.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
    So, just make sure you use the Tadpole Lane entrance and all is well. Apparently.
    So just shoddy reporting from the wail then? I suppose it is to be expected.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I was just at the Queen Mother leisure centre by Victoria Station. In the shared changing rooms there was a group of about 10 boys aged around 8-11 getting changed. No male teacher of course - they seem to be virtually excluded from primary schools (mores the pity).

Struck me as being a nonce's dream - though no-one seemed to be paying them any attention. Maybe all those using shared changing rooms need CRB checks?

Though a better solution is cubicles.....

Leave a comment:

• rhubarb
    replied
    The school website seems to imply it's all rubbish anyway.

In light of the recent press coverage regarding CRB checks on parents wishing to watch their children play in sports fixtures we would like to issue the following statement:

Parents are more than welcome to attend to watch sports fixtures at Isambard Community School. However, there is no access to the sports pitches through the main school building. Parents are requested to use the Tadpole Lane entrance where there is ample parking. There have previously been issues with parents and other visitors arriving at the Isambard Way entrance and being annoyed to be asked to drive to Tadpole Lane. However, we are unable to allow visitors access through the school during the normal school day, which includes the enrichment time between 3:15pm and 6pm. We hope this clarifies the school’s position.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X