• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "newsnight right now attacking "self employed""

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Was that under Grocer Heath? Seem to recall The Daily Mail supporting Labour in that election. Heath was the worst PM ever.
    1974. Yes, Heath was in charge of a poor government.

Their big thing was getting us into the Common Market. In those days I think the Tories were in favour of that and Labour weren't, which might explain the juxtaposition of BBC and ITV, I don't know.

Oh, and the three-day week.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Was that under Grocer Heath? Seem to recall The Daily Mail supporting Labour in that election. Heath was the worst PM ever.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I remember an election night in the 70s where the Beeb was very pro-Tory and ITV was equally pro-Labour.

Edit: it might have been the late 60s

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    But has the BBC always been left-wing? When I was a student years ago I used to just accept what they said as gospel truth and the work of "responsible" adults.
    I remember an election night in the 70s where the Beeb was very pro-Tory and ITV was equally pro-Labour.

Edit: it might have been the late 60s
    Last edited by Sysman; 29 September 2012, 10:00.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    I think you are right.
    But has the BBC always been left-wing? When I was a student years ago I used to just accept what they said as gospel truth and the work of "responsible" adults.
    They used to be very much part of the establishment. Now they are populated by "right on" (priviliged) liberals who seem to think it is cool to be left wing. it is a guilt thing which is what poor Steve Coogan suffers from.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    they most certainly do - they undermine it. what I find fascinating is how so many people who benefit from the capitalist system who love to criticise it but offer no alternative.
    I think you are right.

Leave a comment:

• MayContainNuts
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    They were Coogan's comments not mine, hence the linkys.

He slags off the Murdochs until he need a home for his new TV series.
    Still smarting over this guy!!! Horrible horrible man!!!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Nothing is impartial of course.

But the BBC is clearly right of centre on economic / political terms. Weave deem through this massive crisis if capitalism but they never question the capitalist orthodox position.

they most certainly do - they undermine it. what I find fascinating is how so many people who benefit from the capitalist system who love to criticise it but offer no alternative.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    It always amazes me that people think the BBC is in anyway impartial, they are very lefty biased and have considered it for a long time to be the state indoctrination channels. Sky may have a bias too, but perhaps because it is not so different from my own personal bias I rarely noticed it, though now days I have found that news on TV tells me too much about things I want to know nothing about.
    Nothing is impartial of course.

But the BBC is clearly right of centre on economic / political terms. Weave deem through this massive crisis if capitalism but they never question the capitalist orthodox position.

They do have a very liberal bias in social issues and also a metropolitan bias.

I notice the political bias but not really the social one as it is close to my own.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I employ them
    Yes, you owe me money and my mate Giovanni and the boys from Palermo will be visiting you this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    doing a report on "self employed" cleaners in London who aren't self employed because they have to sign in and out, don't use own tools, have no control of hours

there's a bandwagon building methinks
    Is this exposure being led by Jeremy Paxman of Inside Track Productions LLP?

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    far too subtle a distinction, most of the public can only cope with 'God = Good, Satan=Bad' level of arguments.
    I prefer god = good, devil = evil as it shows exactly where the words come from.

Leave a comment:

• PorkPie
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    far too subtle a distinction, most of the public can only cope with 'God = Good, Satan=Bad' level of arguments.
    To quote Bill Hicks, Hell has all the good music

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    for all the derision about public sector workers, the vast majority are decent hard-working people trapped in a useless system
    Don't disagree but it does not alter the fact that too many receive salaries, pension and job security paid for by equally hard working people in the private sector who don't get these things themselves.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    They were Coogan's comments not mine, hence the linkys.

Sorry they did not seem like your words

Leave a comment:

Working...
X