• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Can one really drink home-brew straight if it hasnt had vigorous straining"

Collapse

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    The new kits are much, much better than student days, often passing for proper real keg ale, using real beer yeast and proper sterilising chemicals and vacuum distilling the wort rather than boiling it to buggery to keep the flavours.

Love the Woodfordes kits:

Woodfordes Home Brew Kits

Hopefully will progress onto my own mashing gear soon and experiment with new flavours. 40p for a real drinkable pint. Especially when "The Parasites" go ahead with their authoritarian minimum pricing bollocks and increased alcohol duty.

C**ts that they are.
    I'll second that modern home brew kits are quite good. Done right, which isn't too hard, they produce the equivalent of an reasonable pub pint. Just make sure everything is sterilized properly at the start. It also is rather a pleasing feeling when you've made your own, bit like fixing your car yourself.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    The new kits are much, much better than student days, often passing for proper real keg ale, using real beer yeast and proper sterilising chemicals and vacuum distilling the wort rather than boiling it to buggery to keep the flavours.

Love the Woodfordes kits:

Woodfordes Home Brew Kits

Hopefully will progress onto my own mashing gear soon and experiment with new flavours. 40p for a real drinkable pint. Especially when "The Parasites" go ahead with their authoritarian minimum pricing bollocks and increased alcohol duty.

C**ts that they are.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    strain, that's for wimps.

brew, syphon decant to another bucket, add sugar mixture for carbonation, leave to settle for an hour, syphon into the bottle (I use 2L pop bottles or a keg). wait a week or two, pour carefully.

filtering is for wine weenies.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    but it never did me no harm.
    Are you sure?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Used to do that too and use it for parties. Also homemade brandy, requires a melon, brown sugar, a door, a bucket and a pair of tights. Scrape the fruit out of the melon into one leg of the tights and add the sugar. Hang from the door handle with the toe of the leg of the tights with the ingredients over the bucket. Leave for a few weeks and voila...cheap blinding booze.
    wow, I gonna try that.
    I'll just have to whip the wifes tights off without laddering them. They were a bit tight on me anyway

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I used to put double sugar in to make it really strong. trouble was, any more than three pints and it would take the enamel of yer teeth.
    Used to do that too and use it for parties. Also homemade brandy, requires a melon, brown sugar, a door, a bucket and a pair of tights. Scrape the fruit out of the melon into one leg of the tights and add the sugar. Hang from the door handle with the toe of the leg of the tights with the ingredients over the bucket. Leave for a few weeks and voila...cheap blinding booze.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I used to put double sugar in to make it really strong. trouble was, any more than three pints and it would take the enamel of yer teeth.

So I used to take it into the pub and flog it in the bogs and use the money to buy carlsberg.
    sold like hot cakes it did.

One day I had a spare 10p, so I put a song on the jukie (something I very very rarely do) and I felt something hit my shoe.
    It was my 10p
    Someone had robbed the jukie and the cash tray was gone. So I nipped home
    got a holdall and my raincoat, then camped out by the jukie all night. All the coins went straight past my coat and into the holdall.

I was blooming loaded for a week. but if I ever hear Dolly Parton, or 'coward of the county' again, i'll bloody murder somebody

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Did you not used to just pour from bottles in one go, leaving the last inch of beer (containing the sediment) in the bottom of the bottle ?

In my youth, I had a pressurized barrel which left a bit of beer under the level of the outlet tap, so the sediment (or most of it) didn't end up in yer guts !

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Takes me back, about 20 years too. Used to have two barrels, one drinking and one clearing and usually some fermenting in the bin. In the latter years I invested in a float tap that took the clearer beer from the top so I didn't have to wait as long.
    Tom Caxton beer kit. I remember those.

TOM CAXTON - PRODUCTS

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    I used to make home brew right. About 20 years ago

it was always cloudy and full of sediment, but it never did me no harm. It never rotted my guts like.
    Takes me back, about 20 years too. Used to have two barrels, one drinking and one clearing and usually some fermenting in the bin. In the latter years I invested in a float tap that took the clearer beer from the top so I didn't have to wait as long.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    ...vigorous straining
    Morning after the curry night before.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Never used to strain. You siphon it after primary fermentation leaving the sediment behind and then don't dring the last few pints from the bottom of the barrel. Was always perfectly clear.
    You're telling EO not to drain the barrel dry? Good luck

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied

it was always cloudy and full of sediment, but it never did me no harm. It never rotted my guts like.
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger eh ?
    Everyone eats a bushel of sh!te in their lifetime- confucious said that, or einstein. or it might have been oscar wilde.

anyway, must dash. I have the wildies again

Never used to strain. You siphon it after primary fermentation leaving the sediment behind and then don't dring the last few pints from the bottom of the barrel. Was always perfectly clear.

Leave a comment:

• Can one really drink home-brew straight if it hasnt had vigorous straining

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger eh ?
    Everyone eats a bushel of sh!te in their lifetime- confucious said that, or einstein. or it might have been oscar wilde.

anyway, must dash. I have the wildies again

Working...
X