• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Another blow for BBC F1"

Collapse

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Taita View Post
    Got it with no change to subscription choice or going HD. I think it was just bundled in as another sport channel
    If you have sports, it's free, if you have HD, it's free. Its only when you want it, and dont have HD or sports, that you have to pay.

Its on Sky Go as well, which is cracking if you're away

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Not while the race is on, and that's all that counts to me. They have historic program's, current shows, and are pretty good at analysis. Job done for me, and was free with the hd pack.

Loverly
    Got it with no change to subscription choice or going HD. I think it was just bundled in as another sport channel

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Maybe I'll look into Sky but it seems a lot to spend just for F1.
    There are other things on Sky besides F1.

I got it for free, as I was already a Sky HD subscriber; I'm not sure I would have paid the extra for Sky Sports. The interesting question is whether Sky will move it over to Sky Sports only next year having established an audience.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I like Jake, but personal taste I suppose. Never caught a Sky race yet, I'd assumed I wouldn't like it even with Brundle.

And yes you're right Brundle is another who is great precisely because he knows everyone... but there aren't many of those around and my point was the BBC can't just bring in a generic sports person and have the same ability.
    I would say as a team owner EJ has a lot more insider knowledge than Brundle as an ex-driver, personally I like watch him sparring with and insulting people

EJ hasn't been a team owner for many, many years, and the sport has changed massively since he was. Brundle has raced for a lot of teams, and still gets invited to drive lots of cars. I think EJ is regarded as a wheeler and dealer who lucked into F1, and Brundle as a man who has been there, and done it. He's experienced cars from the turbo era through to the modern day V8's, with EBD's. I think I know who'd respected more, and who's worth listening to when he starts toalkign about the sport.

I actually, properly loathe EJ; an egoist, an eejet of quite some spectacle and a buffoon to boot. And that syrup, honestly...

Coulthard, well, he's wooden. Was as a driver, is as a commentator.

Sky, imo, is miles ahead, and I am happy, very happy, they have the coverage.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    I like Jake, but personal taste I suppose. Never caught a Sky race yet, I'd assumed I wouldn't like it even with Brundle.
    Yeah, guilty of that too.

I like Brundle, I should give it a go on Sky.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Jake was the worst thing about the BBC's coverage. If he'd left sooner, I might have missed the BBC. Back in the day, we used to get just the 1 hour "Grand Prix" highlights show at 11pm. No presenters, no pundits, just the highlights voiced by Murray and James with perhaps the odd interview with the winner if you were lucky. I'm sure that's what the BBC are planning to return to.

Fortunately, Sky's coverage is so good I don't care what the BBC do.
    Martin Brundle never seems to have any trouble grabbing Bernie's arm for a quick chat. And unlike Eddie Jordan, Brundle is genuinely respected by everyone in the sport, and asks intelligent questions too.

And yes you're right Brundle is another who is great precisely because he knows everyone... but there aren't many of those around and my point was the BBC can't just bring in a generic sports person and have the same ability.
    I would say as a team owner EJ has a lot more insider knowledge than Brundle as an ex-driver, personally I like watch him sparring with and insulting people

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    EJ is not there because he's great on TV. He's there because he's mates with half the big-wigs. Nobody else can grab Bernie's arm for a quick chat.
    That's a crock of tulip. I have seen half of the sky team speak to him. EJ is Bernies mouthpiece; if BE wants to spread a rumour, or obfuscate, he simply has a word in the wee bald fellas ear and it's around the paddock. He's an eejet joke that's now been told too many times.

I honestly think sky have moved on the presentation of the sport, as they did with football, as they did with cricket, and as they have done with most sports they cover.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Martin Brundle never seems to have any trouble grabbing Bernie's arm for a quick chat. And unlike Eddie Jordan, Brundle is genuinely respected by everyone in the sport, and asks intelligent questions too.
    100% Vex, like the Hunt to Walker.

Brundle is respected across the F1 fraternity. A vet F1 player that provided the tech insight that was respected across the board.

My best Murray & Hunt exchange was during a rainy session, and Murray watching the live video stream sees a flash of red from the Benniton and shouts: "There's a fire in De Cessaris's car!"

Hunt cooly replies: "Er no Murray, that's the rear brake light"

Halcyon F1 days.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Brundle is a big miss from the terrestial coverage. Unlike Coultard he's very knowledgeble about all aspects of the game. His grid walks were legendary.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    EJ is not there because he's great on TV. He's there because he's mates with half the big-wigs. Nobody else can grab Bernie's arm for a quick chat.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Jake was the worst thing about the BBC's coverage. If he'd left sooner, I might have missed the BBC. Back in the day, we used to get just the 1 hour "Grand Prix" highlights show at 11pm. No presenters, no pundits, just the highlights voiced by Murray and James with perhaps the odd interview with the winner if you were lucky. I'm sure that's what the BBC are planning to return to.

Fortunately, Sky's coverage is so good I don't care what the BBC do.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Disagree with you on every point, nomadd, apart from the last.

Oh well, everyone has an opinion.

I think the Beeb was doing a good job. Shame that Sky paid handsomely to take F1 from the beeb.

Anyone else think it's appalling to pay a subscription for a channel which shows adverts? One or the other IMO.
    Not while the race is on, and that's all that counts to me. They have historic program's, current shows, and are pretty good at analysis. Job done for me, and was free with the hd pack.

Loverly

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Disagree with you on every point, nomadd, apart from the last.

Oh well, everyone has an opinion.

I think the Beeb was doing a good job. Shame that Sky paid handsomely to take F1 from the beeb.

Anyone else think it's appalling to pay a subscription for a channel which shows adverts? One or the other IMO.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    I think it will benefit the channel, to be honest. He should have stuck to Childrens TV.
    This^ (+1,000,000)

However, now left with Coulthard and Eddie Jordan, I believe they should start afresh with a black sheet of paper, as it's just rubbish.
    Coulthard and the "other guy" (Ben somebody?) when they commentate on the race I can live with.

I cannot find words to describe how badly Eddie Jordan comes across on T.V., so I won't even try.

Sky F1 is blowing them away imo.
    No idea. The idea that I'd shell out money to watch the advert-laden sports stars of today just doesn't compute with me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X