• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Old-fashioned manners or weird foible?"

Collapse

• seyre1972
    replied
    I get told off by SHMBO for doign this

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Not at all.

I make a point of saying "You're welcome" anyway.
    My wife tells me off for this - but I was raised to believe that "manners cost nothing".

She says I'm too agressive .... yet she's the one who stuck a knife in my leg one time (by accident she says) and was banned from playing hockey @ school ...

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Varta seemed to top it for longevity and Kodak price / performance :

Testing 30 brands of batteries - Hack a Day
    I use low self discharge NiMH cells for most things these days.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Varta seemed to top it for longevity and Kodak price / performance :

Testing 30 brands of batteries - Hack a Day

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    If you ever drop a knife, make sure you have a stanley in reserve in yer parker pocket, or fish-hooks in yer lapels

old superstitious nonsense I know, but possibly still resonates with some today

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    I never heard about it being bad manners, but unlucky.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
    Whatever happened to Ever Ready?
    It went the way of white dog poo. A question on which should be on any British Citizen test.

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Whatever happened to Ever Ready?

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    What was the cell like?
    9 volt alakaline Duracel

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    I find if you shout "BOMB BOMB", that tends to have the desired effect.
    What was the cell like?

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Unless they are foreign teenagers - you know the ones you see in summer being a damn nuisance - either give them an elbow and help push them out again, or say something loudly about their lack of common sense.
    I find if you shout "BOMB BOMB", that tends to have the desired effect.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Same on the Tubes fookwits don't realise people have to get out before they get in
    Unless they are foreign teenagers - you know the ones you see in summer being a damn nuisance - either give them an elbow and help push them out again, or say something loudly about their lack of common sense.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    does'nt

That's the second time I've seen you misspell that word recently. Learn to spell you ignoramus!

The apostrophe replaces the missing letter, i.e.

doesn't
    wasn't
    didn't
    can't
    isn't

etc.

EDIT: Google reveals that you consistently misspell these
    Last edited by Platypus; 18 September 2012, 13:07.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Speaking of manners.... is it too much to expect acknowledgement or a simple Thank You for opening a door or holding a door open for someone?

If someone does'nt try and take hold of the door I always try to let go. I also hate people who eat on the street

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    When the kids had pushchairs
    Lazy fat $*x* who hog the lift in stores to go up one flight of stairs. I've even seen them push infront of people in wheelchairs. Same people park in disabled bays.

Used to pee me off no end.
    M&S in Manchester is the worst for that!

Feckers. Use the bloody escalator.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    When the kids had pushchairs
    Lazy fat $*x* who hog the lift in stores to go up one flight of stairs. I've even seen them push infront of people in wheelchairs. Same people park in disabled bays.

Used to pee me off no end.

With respect to passing on the stairs. Doesn't that one come out of superstition dating back to times of Yore? I.e. it was considered bad luck to pass on the stairs.

Similarly with saying "Bless you" when someone sneezes related to belief in the vulnerability of ones soul when sneezing.

Must admit I'm not comfortable with the ones related to superstition.
    Last edited by ZARDOZ; 18 September 2012, 12:33.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X