• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bruges - where to eat? what to do?"

Collapse

• BillHicksRIP
    replied
    Try and find 2 manky hookers and a racist dwarf.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    We tried some Belgian beer in a bar in Paris. Mort Subité (Sudden Death) was one of them.

We felt absolutely fine until we stood up to leave and could feel leg wobble.

When we got outside and hit the fresh air things got worse

Fortunately I lived just round the corner so could hit the sack quickly. The rest of the group wasn't seen until next lunchtime.
    That was the thing with this Busch Jamais plus de quatre was the barmaids suggestion, which was a red rag to a bull. I remember getting up after a couple to go to the loo and feeling the legs in trouble...

I love the name though...

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Basil Fawlty View Post
    Indeed...the day we got there we sat out for a mid afternoon drink in the main square. Mrs F ordered a glass of Coke as it was 2pm, I thought i'd try something more 'exotic' so ordered a local lager. This goldfish bowl of beer turned up - 10 mins later i was rat-ar$ed and drooling all over the my shirt. Turns out the standard lager was 9% loopy juice - what a great old place it is
    We tried some Belgian beer in a bar in Paris. Mort Subité (Sudden Death) was one of them.

We felt absolutely fine until we stood up to leave and could feel leg wobble.

When we got outside and hit the fresh air things got worse

Fortunately I lived just round the corner so could hit the sack quickly. The rest of the group wasn't seen until next lunchtime.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Indeed...the day we got there we sat out for a mid afternoon drink in the main square. Mrs F ordered a glass of Coke as it was 2pm, I thought i'd try something more 'exotic' so ordered a local lager. This goldfish bowl of beer turned up - 10 mins later i was rat-ar$ed and drooling all over the my shirt. Turns out the standard lager was 9% loopy juice - what a great old place it is
    I went to a festival in Tournai in Belgium once with a group of friends. Being english, we decided to go out on the pop at 6. It stopped shortly after, as we were drinking a beer called Busch, @13.4%. The barmaid said dont drink more than 4, which we took as a challenge. Waking up in the ladies toilets with a broken nose (I had fallen over) I realised we'd taken on more than we could chew. I was carried for the rest of the evening by a very large friend who could hold his beer

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    These places are a must: Bierbrasserie Cambrinus & De Halve Maan Both offer traditional hearty food and an extensive beer list and the brewery does a surprisingly good tour.

I would also highly recommend the bike tour: Welcome to Quasimundo bike tours good for finding some gems off the beaten track.

Leave a comment:

• Basil Fawlty
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    We stopped for a few days in Namur once, and happened across a bar which claimed to stock the largest selection of Belgian beer. Jesus H I didn't realise how many they had, and most very strong too.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Went there a few years ago - it's a great city for a weekend break.

Highly recommend the brewery tour - did you know there are over 800 different types of Belgium beer ?
    We stopped for a few days in Namur once, and happened across a bar which claimed to stock the largest selection of Belgian beer. Jesus H I didn't realise how many they had, and most very strong too.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    did you know there are over 800 different types of Belgium beer ?
    I lost count. hic!

Leave a comment:

• Basil Fawlty
    replied
    Went there a few years ago - it's a great city for a weekend break.

Highly recommend the brewery tour - did you know there are over 800 different types of Belgium beer ?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    There's a nice chocolate shop in the square... yum !

Other than that I don't remember

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Went there for a few days before last Christmas.

One thing I noticed is that most places won't serve drinks unless you are also eating.

Craenenburg on the main square (Markt?) was our favourite place for lunch. They do Fantastic waffles too.
    Last edited by wurzel; 7 September 2012, 08:28.

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    So, ideas about going to the dutch coast didn't go through as any place worthwhile staying in was fully booked, so 2nd choice is Bruges. Hotel is booked, just a few mins walk from dead center of the city.

Gf Chef and I are spending the weekend there from this afternoon, my question is, does anyone have any recommendations for places to eat? and things to do?

cheers

Chef
    Do the "In Bruges" Bruges tour.. most places in the centre are great, but expensive.. if you walk a little way outside the centre the quality will be just as good but a little cheaper.. obviously the boat ride is good fun and a great way to see the place and get a guided tour, the walk to the top of the tower is good if not a little tight at the top.. Enjoy a Leffe Blonde for me!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I seem to remember from the film there is some sort of tower thing you can go up and some canals.

Looks a very photogenic place actually.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    started a topic Bruges - where to eat? what to do?

Bruges - where to eat? what to do?

So, ideas about going to the dutch coast didn't go through as any place worthwhile staying in was fully booked, so 2nd choice is Bruges. Hotel is booked, just a few mins walk from dead center of the city.

Gf Chef and I are spending the weekend there from this afternoon, my question is, does anyone have any recommendations for places to eat? and things to do?

cheers

Chef

Working...
X