• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "One for the parents among us...."

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Firstborn starts school in 2 hours time. Where have the years gone?

Fortunately my D&C is such that I have elected to work at home today so the missus and I can take her to school together.
    I remember the first day for DS1 and DD1 (mumsnet mode), when their book bags was nearly as big as they were thinking they will grow into that school jumper before they trash it I hope!

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    I didn't have a "bigoted dig" at your lifestyle choice. If anything your "sledging" about CM "having to work" was having a go at our choice.

I also specifically said that I wasn't going to discuss child rearing with you.

Anyway, you're still a
    High praise indeed! Made my day that has, thank you.

Anyway, it is clear that you definitely made the right choice for your child.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Firstborn starts school in 2 hours time. Where have the years gone?

Fortunately my D&C is such that I have elected to work at home today so the missus and I can take her to school together.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    As for them slotting straight into a senior manager role in private sector - yes, some will have the required skills but not many after 15 years in a public sector environment/mentality. Or are there thousands doing that, which I haven't heard about.
    AND when you start squeezing out kids it really does start to look good.
    Which is odd really, cos a few years spent breaking up fights in the playground, telling people who don't want to listen stuff they don't want to care about and giving them grades on a regular basis should be the perfect preparation for a career in middle management.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    We're neighbours, and the wife is very good friends too, and I am the middle kids godson. She does do some marking sometimes, but she can do a lot of that in those times where shes not teaching and doing assorted admin.

Love to see where she'd get 60k as a manager. Senior manager maybe, but manager? I think you're just stupid
    I don't think you are stupid but teachers should stop bleating on, they are on a good number. Heard one on a phone-in one time and there had been a procession of moaners about stress etc he came on and said 'it's sweet really, about a grand a week for the time you are there, brilliant holidays and the pension is sorted plus if you have got anything about you, then a few years sees you into management'
    As for them slotting straight into a senior manager role in private sector - yes, some will have the required skills but not many after 15 years in a public sector environment/mentality. Or are there thousands doing that, which I haven't heard about.
    AND when you start squeezing out kids it really does start to look good.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    I didn't have a "bigoted dig" at your lifestyle choice. If anything your "sledging" about CM "having to work" was having a go at our choice.

Anyway, you're still a
    I was discussing childcare with someone the other day when I mentioned that we put MF junior in nursery for 2 days a week now having dropped it from 3. His comment was 'Having children to be raised by strangers. I wouldn't do it'. Took All my restraint not to lamp him. Everyone has an opinion.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by doomage View Post
    What? I was replying to his ignorant bigoted dig at our lifestyle choice, which was a typical Spod response to any forum member not in his clique. I respect his right to do so, but also reserve my right to reply in kind.

In fact I have a lot of empathy for working mums. There is also facist presumptousness with regards to mums who choose parenting over careers. Children are hard work regardless of circumstance. I am grateful we can afford to make the choice we did, what saddens me is that many cannot make that choice, which for me boils down to the economic and societal pressure to get on the housing ladder.

We recovered a child from autism. It is about the most emotionally and financially stressful projects a family can have to deal with. You should have seen the tears when he started year one.

Anyway, I hope you all support your schools' PTA whatever your circumstance.

Anyway, you're still a

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by doomage View Post
    What? I was replying to his ignorant bigoted dig at our lifestyle choice, which was a typical Spod response to any forum member not in his clique. I respect his right to do so, but also reserve my right to reply in kind.

In fact I have a lot of empathy for working mums. There is also facist presumptousness with regards to mums who choose parenting over careers. Children are hard work regardless of circumstance. I am grateful we can afford to make the choice we did, what saddens me is that many cannot make that choice, which for me boils down to the economic and societal pressure to get on the housing ladder.

We recovered a child from autism. It is about the most emotionally and financially stressful projects a family can have to deal with. You should have seen the tears when he started year one.

Anyway, I hope you all support your schools' PTA whatever your circumstance.
    I am on the committee

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Yes and she'd be on £60k as a manager in a big company. Not to mention, the vast majority of teachers aren't departmental heads.

And I think it's very unlikely anyone is a departmental head in secondary school and works 9-5 and not in the holidays. There's a huge amount of extra stuff on top of the normal crap you have to do as a regular teacher.

How do you know what times your friend's wife leaves home and returns? Is it because it's a made up story with a made up friend?
    We're neighbours, and the wife is very good friends too, and I am the middle kids godson. She does do some marking sometimes, but she can do a lot of that in those times where shes not teaching and doing assorted admin.

Love to see where she'd get 60k as a manager. Senior manager maybe, but manager? I think you're just stupid

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Yes and she'd be on £60k as a manager in a big company. Not to mention, the vast majority of teachers aren't departmental heads.

And I think it's very unlikely anyone is a departmental head in secondary school and works 9-5 and not in the holidays. There's a huge amount of extra stuff on top of the normal crap you have to do as a regular teacher.

How do you know what times your friend's wife leaves home and returns? Is it because it's a made up story with a made up friend?

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    More like 4/5 of a professional salary.
    Balls, she's on 45k as a department head.

Teachers dont realise just how good they have it. I see her rock up at 8.30 and be home at 5.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    More like 4/5 of a professional salary.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Can't wait for my wife to start teaching. Seems a bit of a gas; years salary, 4/5ths of a years work. Nice if you can get it.
    Hopefully she will be at a nice rural school where the children throw chalk instead of knives. Or was that just a story I read in the wail?

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Do you work in your holiday? The inset day is a day of holiday, the clue is that the children don't go in. My wife's been in the last 2 weeks getting ready as have all the others at the school, and that WAS voluntary.
    ...and my friends wife flew in last thursday from california and started work at her school on the friday.

Can't wait for my wife to start teaching. Seems a bit of a gas; years salary, 4/5ths of a years work. Nice if you can get it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    That gets me. Same with my kid.

Start of term monday 3rd september but hang on inset day for staff training on 3rd so first day back is 4th. Not being funny but didnt they have time in their 6 weeks off to fit in one day of staff training!!!!
    Do you work in your holiday? The inset day is a day of holiday, the clue is that the children don't go in. My wife's been in the last 2 weeks getting ready as have all the others at the school, and that WAS voluntary.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X