• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full of 5 Cents Coins"

Collapse

• IR35FanClub
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Are you talking about the samsung or the iPhone?

Cause from what I see iPhones are ten a penny and owned by anyone able to sign a 2 year mobile phone contract
    Thats the point, they can sign the contract but they cant read it. Anyone withh some intelligence andwho thinks things like, "i wonder if i can get a better way of inputting text" will be better of with a droid. If you like an applicance apple is best.

Im not biased have had both. Got myself an SGS2 and missus an iphone 4GS. Some bits of the iphone are better (like the fact it doesnt hang and use up the battery in 3 hours) but then the samsung has a miles better screen and suits me as a techy a lot more.

Have to say for pads, i wouldnt recommend anything other than ipad yet. This might change if they can get something like garageband, numbers, idesign, sketchbook express on droid. And starwars falcon gunner :-) Cant play it on the bus though, you'd look a nob standing up swinging the ipad up down and around in 360 degrees.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Not under-speced just mostly broken, with a toss pot organisation for support... I dragged a Toshiba P4 around for my previous power laptop to the HP, it lasted very well but it was just heavy. Show me how you connect TWO 27 inch monitors to any of the laptops you suggested without the need for additional kit? I just plug a single thunderbolt cable into my mac and the second monitor runs off the first. A tidy solution that leaves my desk free of Docking connectors and means my laptop always has most of a days power in it when ever I unplug it...

I'm really pleased that you like Lenovo or Dell products but its clear that you have no clue about hardware otherwise you would know that you cant spec either to the same standard as a mac but there you go...
    In terms of docking techniques it horses for courses really, I've got mine tucked away under the desk and then two 21" monitors and a wireless keyboard and mouse on the desk. Speakers, printer, external drives etc... are all connected to the docking station and hidden away. I presume you'll have to connect these to the monitors or go completely wireless

For Apple Specs vs Lenovo or Dell. I'll let you go and play top trumps on the vendors websites. Once you have some proof to back up your claims I'd love to see it as I am in the market for a new 15" laptop later this year (mines too old now even for Dells extended onsite support) and if a MBP can out perform other manufacturers then I'd defintely get one. (whatever I get needs upgradable RAM, and multiple harddrives)

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

I'm really pleased that you like Lenovo or Dell products but its clear that you have no clue about hardware otherwise you would know that you cant spec either to the same standard as a mac but there you go...
    How many Apple laptops have 32gb of memory and i7 processors? My Lenovo does...When buying my new kit I looked at the Mac book Pro but sadly it didn't cut the mustard, especially at that price whereas the Lenovo does.

Leave a comment:

• rambaugh
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    Back to the OP, its a hoax.

It would take a lot more than 30 trucks full of 5 cents to make a billion dollars.....
    You're quite right. For the record a nickel weighs 5g so it would take 2,755 18-wheeler trucks (max legal tare 80,000 lbs) to carry ALL the money.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Patents are meant to protect the small inventor against corporate bullies
    Says who?

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    So you bought some HP crap without properly checking the specs before hand and now Apple are the saviours? If you had bought a decent IBM/Lenovo or Dell Precision laptop you wouldn't have had the problem
    Not under-speced just mostly broken, with a toss pot organisation for support... I dragged a Toshiba P4 around for my previous power laptop to the HP, it lasted very well but it was just heavy. Show me how you connect TWO 27 inch monitors to any of the laptops you suggested without the need for additional kit? I just plug a single thunderbolt cable into my mac and the second monitor runs off the first. A tidy solution that leaves my desk free of Docking connectors and means my laptop always has most of a days power in it when ever I unplug it...

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    And Apple are hardly a plucky independent being bullied by Samsung either. They're bigger than Samsung.

Patents are meant to protect the small inventor against corporate bullies. None of that applies here.
    Oh definitely, I wasn't suggesting they were. This is purely about protecting an advantage and trying to prevent a competitor catching up, all of which is bad for the consumer. But you'd think Samsung were a couple of blokes working out of a garage in Seoul the way some people are talking.

Edit: The fact they can shrug off a billion dollar fine puts paid to that idea.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    I agree though, the way people seem to be treating Samsung as a plucky independent being bullied by Apple is hilarious. They're flipping massive, they can look after themselves.
    And Apple are hardly a plucky independent being bullied by Samsung either. They're bigger than Samsung.

Patents are meant to protect the small inventor against corporate bullies. None of that applies here.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Here is the odd bit. Once I had lost my temper for the last time on ANY HP product, I said sod it and spent just shy of 8k sorting out my office for Ipads, Macs and screens. I thought about how I used to work and refined my working practices using the new toys and as a result, I turned over just shy of 180k in revenue because I was able to improve the efficiency of my working practices at home and on clients sites. This allowed me to pick a few choice little jobs on the side while I was working on my main gigs.

How?

Well for once I was able to run a significant amount of Virtual machines on my laptop so that made it easy to prototype stuff while I was sat on the train or out at sites. I used to have to reserve this work for desktop machines at home when I was using my HP laptop because the screen was not good enough. I bought Thunderbolt screens so I now my laptop can use Visio to a design studio standard. My clients were very impressed with the improvement in the standard of designs. That gave me more control to work from home because they know I can do that sort of stuff on their kit...

Now I know that as long as I stick inside my ecosystem I get to spend my time working on fee earning stuff rather than fking about trying to make stuff work or rebuilding my laptop... That panned out to 50k in additional work I could not do in a PC environment. in my first year as a mac head...

So to me paying for Apple blingware made me more comfortable at work and a 40k profit
    So you bought some HP crap without properly checking the specs before hand and now Apple are the saviours? If you had bought a decent IBM/Lenovo or Dell Precision laptop you wouldn't have had the problem

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If you say so.
    Ahhhh I'm just being dramatic as I used to harp on about how good WP7 is, if they would just make a few little improvements more in 7.8 I would no doubt be happy.

On the subject I own a 5th Gen iPod Nano which I use regularly and have had for some time problem was there was nothing else out at the time and I believe it was overpriced at the time for what it is which is just a portable music player

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    If I said **** it, I wont buy your stuff just because you beat up equally big players to maintain your competitive edge then I would be very rich indeed.
    And you wouldn't own anything.

I agree though, the way people seem to be treating Samsung as a plucky independent being bullied by Apple is hilarious. They're flipping massive, they can look after themselves.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    we are be abandoned make no mistake about it
    If you say so.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    How much did Apple get for your soul?
    Here is the odd bit. Once I had lost my temper for the last time on ANY HP product, I said sod it and spent just shy of 8k sorting out my office for Ipads, Macs and screens. I thought about how I used to work and refined my working practices using the new toys and as a result, I turned over just shy of 180k in revenue because I was able to improve the efficiency of my working practices at home and on clients sites. This allowed me to pick a few choice little jobs on the side while I was working on my main gigs.

How?

Well for once I was able to run a significant amount of Virtual machines on my laptop so that made it easy to prototype stuff while I was sat on the train or out at sites. I used to have to reserve this work for desktop machines at home when I was using my HP laptop because the screen was not good enough. I bought Thunderbolt screens so I now my laptop can use Visio to a design studio standard. My clients were very impressed with the improvement in the standard of designs. That gave me more control to work from home because they know I can do that sort of stuff on their kit...

Now I know that as long as I stick inside my ecosystem I get to spend my time working on fee earning stuff rather than fking about trying to make stuff work or rebuilding my laptop... That panned out to 50k in additional work I could not do in a PC environment. in my first year as a mac head...

So to me paying for Apple blingware made me more comfortable at work and a 40k profit
    Last edited by bobspud; 30 August 2012, 14:32. Reason: sentence was wrong

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Having the kit to do the job is not about looking cool.

For a little background: Before I spent several thousand pounds on Mac Equipment I bought an HP envy the year before, it was total tulipe and for a business laptop, spent more time away from me being not repaired by HP and their moron sub contractors for various faults than I had it on my desk. It was smallish but had a power pack that you could club a mule to death with and is now considered the worst pile of tulipe I ever bought in IT.
    Telling your client that you don't need /want their laptop only to spend most of the contract on your emergency spare that was even worse than their offering is a pain in the arse!

Compare that with the experience I have had with mac equipment and there is no comparison. I bought my MBP, 3 weeks before the new model, they offered me a no quibble upgrade to the new model and a refund as the memory was cheaper...(2010 - 2011 model) I destroyed a pair of ear buds as well. It took me 5 minutes in covent garden to have them replaced for free... (it was not a technical fault they were broken and I asked to pay to repair them....) That's not a free service, its hidden in the margin that apple make on their products.

If I as an apple customer passively allow samsung and the rest of the crapheads to steal design and functionality from Apple every time they bring out the next product, then eventually Apple will be forced into competing on price and mediocre quality instead. I dont want that I am fairly well off, and I want a service that I know that I can't get from PC world and the other PC manufacturers.

In an ideal world, Apple should have been able to say: Hang on! Last year there were no glass screened touch phones on the market, and now there are hundreds. Samsung prove that you had these programmes running before we launched ours and I will compete with you. Or admit that you reverse engineered our product and made your own version and we will take a licence on every one you have sold as a recovery against the effort we put into defining this market for you...

There are very few Angelic companies out in the world If I said **** it, I wont buy your stuff just because you beat up equally big players to maintain your competitive edge then I would be very rich indeed.
    How much did Apple get for your soul?

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by rambaugh View Post
    What's dumb is people spending 3K just because they think a product will makes them look cool. If App£e continue's with law suits to stifle competition their brand image will inevitably be damaged similar to the way M$'s did in the mid to late 90's. If you detach yourself from technology side of it for a minute and look at it from a market/brand perspective you might see this.
    Having the kit to do the job is not about looking cool.

For a little background: Before I spent several thousand pounds on Mac Equipment I bought an HP envy the year before, it was total tulipe and for a business laptop, spent more time away from me being not repaired by HP and their moron sub contractors for various faults than I had it on my desk. It was smallish but had a power pack that you could club a mule to death with and is now considered the worst pile of tulipe I ever bought in IT.
    Telling your client that you don't need /want their laptop only to spend most of the contract on your emergency spare that was even worse than their offering is a pain in the arse!

Compare that with the experience I have had with mac equipment and there is no comparison. I bought my MBP, 3 weeks before the new model, they offered me a no quibble upgrade to the new model and a refund as the memory was cheaper...(2010 - 2011 model) I destroyed a pair of ear buds as well. It took me 5 minutes in covent garden to have them replaced for free... (it was not a technical fault they were broken and I asked to pay to repair them....) That's not a free service, its hidden in the margin that apple make on their products.

If I as an apple customer passively allow samsung and the rest of the crapheads to steal design and functionality from Apple every time they bring out the next product, then eventually Apple will be forced into competing on price and mediocre quality instead. I dont want that I am fairly well off, and I want a service that I know that I can't get from PC world and the other PC manufacturers.

In an ideal world, Apple should have been able to say: Hang on! Last year there were no glass screened touch phones on the market, and now there are hundreds. Samsung prove that you had these programmes running before we launched ours and I will compete with you. Or admit that you reverse engineered our product and made your own version and we will take a licence on every one you have sold as a recovery against the effort we put into defining this market for you...

There are very few Angelic companies out in the world If I said **** it, I wont buy your stuff just because you beat up equally big players to maintain your competitive edge then I would be very rich indeed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X