• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BoE impoverishing pensioners, pushing up inflation damaging consumer spending"

Collapse

• Robinho
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    You can blame GVT's all you want, but greed and nothing else has put us here IMO.
    No, a flawed financial system where banks can create money has put us here. If banks couldn't create money then they would have to limit the amount of loans they gave out, and as such, they would be incentivised to give out good loans which the economy can sustain.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Doggy Styles again.

Totally...

Also.

I'm annoyed as I've seen my friends spend 200,000 on houses when they earn 25k a year , ring up credit card bills on balance transfers (in 1 case to 14,000) and then people like me have to pay to bail out irresponsibility.

You can blame GVT's all you want, but greed and nothing else has put us here IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    Is it the person who took the loan's fault? Or is it the bank's fault for giving them that loan? Or is it the government's fault for allowing banks to be able to create money whenever they lend, giving them almost zero incentive not to give a loan?

I wonder.
    Always blaming someone else is a national past-time in Britain.

The only thing I think is wrong is if you play to one set of rules for most of your life (e.g. you work and save to support yourself when you can't work any more), then the rules change when it's too late to do anything about it (e.g. HMG decides to take your savings away).

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    Thats not the pensioners fault, its the parents borrowing more than they could afford that has caused the financial problems. Some might argue that banks offered to loan such silly amounts, but I tend to blame the person who uses the drugs not those that sell them.
    Is it the person who took the loan's fault? Or is it the bank's fault for giving them that loan? Or is it the government's fault for allowing banks to be able to create money whenever they lend, giving them almost zero incentive not to give a loan?

I wonder.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    Thats not the pensioners fault, its the parents borrowing more than they could afford that has caused the financial problems. Some might argue that banks offered to loan such silly amounts, but I tend to blame the person who uses the drugs not those that sell them.
    The trouble is that once the "borrow too much money" strategy becomes available to the general population it only takes a small proportion to go with it before not choosing it becomes highly disadvantageous and people are required to adopt it to compete with others. The choice isn't "borrow too much" or "borrow a bit less" it's "borrow enough to stay in the market" or "quit your job and move away somewhere cheaper with poorer employment prospects".

As is often the case in these matters what starts out as a desirable option for some becomes the only option for many.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    +1

Most young people cannot even begin to think about buying a home.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    The current crop of pensioners are OK-ish. It's us lot - the 30's to 50's - that are going to retire with not much apart from the cash we have in our properties.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Ah.

The Logan's Run option.

We could do the floaty thing with wires.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Mmmm - and I was sure that a QE news item would be sufficient to bring AtW out of his hiding place.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Young people are the future.

They should be the priority in this mess.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The vast majority are far wealthier than the younger generation who are in massive debt.
    The young generation have hardly started. It takes a long time and a lot of work to become wealthy.

Are you suggesting we should take away from those who have provided for themselves and can no longer work, to subsidise those who have the advantage of youth to do it for themselves?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    +1

Pensioners seem to range from seriously wealthy to having a modest amount of money. Young people seem to range from having close to nothing to huge personal debt (inc enormous mortgage debt on a tiny box).

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The vast majority are far wealthier than the younger generation who are in massive debt.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    How many pensioners do you believe are wealthy?

It's not that many, because as you must know, most people retire with meagre funds for their retirement, and at their age little chance to suppliment it.

On the other hand, the younger generation have many more earning years in front of them to address financial shocks.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    It's all a big horrible mess unfortunately.

To stop it happening in he future we need a nice fixed money supply, full reserve banking and privatised pensions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X