• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The American Dream

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The American Dream"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    Oooohh clever, you did an insult.
    Sometimes insults are deserved.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    ftfy
    Oooohh clever, you did an insult.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    So what you're saying is that when he stopped deficit spending, the recession came back? It's like it didn't work.

But yeah, why explain anything when insults simply suffice.
    Why don't you move to Greece? It should be an economic utopia according to your theories. The public sector is being axed and privatisation i.e. the free market is being enforced by on high (i.e. Germany).
    As opposed to here where Keynesianism and money printing are in full flow, in spite of the Coalition's rhetoric.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    See you are asking a lot of question there and making a lot of assumptions. Not sure i have the intellect to write a post addressing all of them.
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    And what would have happened if they hadn't done that?

What would have happened if they hadn't stepped in to rescue banks in the last 5 years?

What would happen if there was suddenly no cash, no means to clear payments, and thus no means to buy fuel, generate electricity, clean water, etc?

I'll tell you what would have happened, in the 30s, and in the last few years; anarchy, blood on the streets and millions of dead people. Or do you really believe that the market, or 'the invisible hand' will sort things out without an intolerable level of social upheaval and violence?

Anyway, you still haven't given us years for the golden age of free markets and enterprise in the USA.
    See you are asking a lot of question there and making a lot of assumptions. Not sure i can be arsed to write a post addressing all of them. If you want me to address one then highlight which one.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    The mainstream view is that this was caused and/or accelerated by Roosevelt's New deal policies, apart from the blip in 1937 when he tried to balance the books.
    So basically Rob, you're talking bollux.
    I'm not sure if you're trolling or genuinely stupid but I can't be fooked to waste time with you any further.

HTH.
    So what you're saying is that when he stopped deficit spending, the recession came back? It's like it didn't work.

But yeah, why explain anything when insults simply suffice.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    The point is the government was trying to control the market...
    And what would have happened if they hadn't done that?

What would have happened if they hadn't stepped in to rescue banks in the last 5 years?

What would happen if there was suddenly no cash, no means to clear payments, and thus no means to buy fuel, generate electricity, clean water, etc?

I'll tell you what would have happened, in the 30s, and in the last few years; anarchy, blood on the streets and millions of dead people. Or do you really believe that the market, or 'the invisible hand' will sort things out without an intolerable level of social upheaval and violence?

Anyway, you still haven't given us years for the golden age of free markets and enterprise in the USA.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    . Anyway, GDP in the US started to recover in 1933 and kept rising except for a short recession in 1937.
    The mainstream view is that this was caused and/or accelerated by Roosevelt's New deal policies, apart from the blip in 1937 when he tried to balance the books.
    So basically Rob, you're talking bollux.
    I'm not sure if you're trolling or genuinely stupid but I can't be fooked to waste time with you any further.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    But most of the stuff in that link is about tobacco and cotton farming; personally I don't eat tobacco or cotton. Anyway, GDP in the US started to recover in 1933 and kept rising except for a short recession in 1937.
    The point is the government was trying to control the market...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    No it happened during the depression too. In spite of the fact that people needed the food, agriculture was encouraged to downscale to inflate prices.

Agricultural Adjustment Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    But most of the stuff in that link is about tobacco and cotton farming; personally I don't eat tobacco or cotton. Anyway, GDP in the US started to recover in 1933 and kept rising except for a short recession in 1937.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    That was in the 1920s, well before the depression started, and was caused by the recovery of European agricultural production after the first world war leading to an oversupply of grain. Basically, cobs of corn were cheaper than coal so people put them on the fire. Nobody was burning grain in the 30s as they needed the food, After 1933 there was a drought and a famine in the US (the Dust bowl) which meant that anyone seen setting fire to a grain of corn would probably have been lynched.
    No it happened during the depression too. In spite of the fact that people needed the food, agriculture was encouraged to downscale to inflate prices.

Agricultural Adjustment Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Originally posted by 10sasguru
    Poor Rob, he seems to be a bit confused about the sequence of events (as well as deeper issues). Perhaps he should read a history of the period, rather than try to justify his prior beliefs by random googling?
    But i am right, so maybe you're the one that needs to read the history books.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Where have I mention fractional reserve banking and why do you think I am blaming it?
    Gold came into the US during the recession, suggesting that upward pressure on the interest rates came from the fact that the money supply collapse after a loss of banking confidence and the reverse effects of fractional reserve banking.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    That was in the 1920s, well before the depression started, and was caused by the recovery of European agricultural production after the first world war leading to an oversupply of grain. Basically, cobs of corn were cheaper than coal so people put them on the fire. Nobody was burning grain in the 30s as they needed the food, After 1933 there was a drought and a famine in the US (the Dust bowl) which meant that anyone seen setting fire to a grain of corn would probably have been lynched.
    Poor Rob, he seems to be a bit confused about the sequence of events (as well as deeper issues). Perhaps he should read a history of the period, rather than try to justify his prior beliefs by random googling?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Edit: They even burnt grain to keep the prices high - madness.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Please clarify whether you are blaming fractional reserve banking or the gold standard? It sounds as if you are blaming fractional reserve banking.
    Where have I mention fractional reserve banking and why do you think I am blaming it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X