• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Moonshine, brandy, distlling etc"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    EasyStill.com» The still unit that makes it easy to distill alcohol

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    From memory, brewing including wine and cider is legal but distilling illegal. Also quite dangerous but freeze distilling may be worth looking at.
    +1

Useful book might have some interesting tips

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I am wondering if it's possible to convert some of my homemade strawberry and blackcurrant wine into brandy. A tipple of something a little bit different come Christmas time.

So, I am aware water distillers on eBay are being marketed as alcohol distillers, but is it safe?

For instance, if inkyhole boils at 70 degrees, then in theory what ends up in the distillation jar would be neat alcohol, ie deadly. So how do you end up with 40% ish lovely lovely brandy?

My question is put to the panel.
    Suity, a friend of mine who used to make his own wine would freeze it when he had a 'bad batch', thus removing a lot of the water and ending up with some strange liquid that tasted a bit like undiluted cordial and caused temporary brain damage if you drank any more than a couple of small glasses. Give that a try first

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    It's ill eagle?
    From memory, brewing including wine and cider is legal but distilling illegal. Also quite dangerous but freeze distilling may be worth looking at.

Leave a comment:

• adubya
    replied
    It's still illegal

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Your prom year iirc

turd

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    it was , in 1750
    Your prom year iirc

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Reduce the strength by watering it down afterwards.

The main danger is an explosion.

You can also freeze it then throw the ice away. That might be safer

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    It's ill eagle?
    it was , in 1750

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I used to read stories when I was a kid
    Dr Syn
    reverand Syn

or some such, on Romney marshes

smuggling brandy.

fighting the revenue men.

go suity.

It's ill eagle?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I used to read stories when I was a kid
    Dr Syn
    reverand Syn

or some such, on Romney marshes

smuggling brandy.

fighting the revenue men.

go suity.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    but is it safe?
    Best to do some home-denistry just to be certain.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Be sure to let us know how you get on.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I am wondering if it's possible to convert some of my homemade strawberry and blackcurrant wine into brandy. A tipple of something a little bit different come Christmas time.

So, I am aware water distillers on eBay are being marketed as alcohol distillers, but is it safe?

For instance, if inkyhole boils at 70 degrees, then in theory what ends up in the distillation jar would be neat alcohol, ie deadly. So how do you end up with 40% ish lovely lovely brandy?

interesting idea.
    it can obv be done, because people do it.

good luck

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    started a topic Moonshine, brandy, distlling etc

Moonshine, brandy, distlling etc

Working...
X