• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Freedom of Tweet

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Freedom of Tweet"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Classic blog on it here

Do We Really Want the Tom Daley Twitter Twat to End Up in Prison? | VICE

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I'm not sure how that is arrestable. What law does that break then?
    Menacing communications or something like that.

When will the Parliament actually votes for the 1st Amendment?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    "i'm going to find you and i'm going to drown you in the pool you cocky tw*t your a nobody people like you make me sick.""

Ah you see, it continues the BBC didn't put that.
    WMFS. That tweet (and there were quite a few more before the Twitter backlash spurred him to withdraw his comments and to apologise repeatedly) could be considered to constitute a menacing communication, the offence for which Paul Chambers of #twitterjoketrial fame rightfully had his conviction quashed last week. (The ruling in that case would be unlikely to exempt something like this.) It could more generally be seen as a threat to kill.

Most likely he'll be given "words of advice" or possibly a formal caution. I think the CPS is, since the Chambers case, going to be a lot more circumspect about bringing prosecutions for malicious communications where it is unlikely that the threat was serious, which seems likely in this case (have you seen the guy who sent it? He couldn't batter a piece of cod).

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    I dont (and I dont care about tom daley). Too many people think they can just do what they want. The trolls need to be culled. This is a good way to start,
    What next, are we going to start going into schools and arresting every kid that says cruel stuff to another kid?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    The trolls need to be culled.
    mods are going to be busy then.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I dont (and I dont care about tom daley). Too many people think they can just do what they want. The trolls need to be culled. This is a good way to start,
    You;d better start by topping yourself then.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Police investigating Tom Daley Twitter troll | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Pretty terrible tweet and the guy is a sick ahole, but I think arresting the guy is even worse.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Twitter and NBC have a contract together for Twitter to provide Olympic information so don't tweet tulip about NBC otherwise the forces that be won't like it, pathetic censorship at its worst...

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I know in the UK there is no freedom of speech law, but what has he done wrong apart from announce to the world what a total twat he is, hang on if thats the case the Stasi is going to lock up half of the posters on here!

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I'm not sure how that is arrestable. What law does that break then?
    WHS!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    "i'm going to find you and i'm going to drown you in the pool you cocky tw*t your a nobody people like you make me sick.""

Ah you see, it continues the BBC didn't put that.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    It was far better in the good old days. He would not have been arrested. But some public minded citizen would have given him a good kicking.
    But isn't that the police's job?

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    It was far better in the good old days. He would not have been arrested. But some public minded citizen would have given him a good kicking.
    Im sure the kicking will still happen

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    "You let your dad down i hope you know that."

That just makes me think 'twat', that's it. Cannot see how you could arrest someone for that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X