• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Official Olympic Sport Thread"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I know we didn't get off to the best of starts with the Olympics, what with the Korean flag debacle. But at least we got the swiss flag right, which I think is a big plus.
    Furthermore, the welshmen have been told they don't have to sing the UK national anthem.

Apparently Stuart Pearce doesn't give a monkey's.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I know we didn't get off to the best of starts with the Olympics, what with the Korean flag debacle. But at least we got the swiss flag right, which I think is a big plus.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    What about by GDP? Clearly you have the free time

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Just pasted the top 21 country medal leaders (so that the UK would just scrape through) into a spread sheet and added the country's population, then sorted into ascending Pop/medals order, and lo, China comes out bottom rather than top and the UK still does tulip.

After sorting into ascending Pop/medals order, can't be arsed to format.
    Code:
    Position	Country	Gold	Silver	Bronze	Tot	Population	Pop/medals
    16		Lithuania	1	-	-	1	3,203,000	3,203,000
    12		Hungary	1	1	1	3	10,014,324	3,338,108
    16		Georgia	1	-	-	1	4,469,200	4,469,200
    10		Australia	1	2	1	4	22,620,600	5,655,150
    4		DPR Korea	3	-	1	4	24,451,285	6,112,821
    11		Romania	1	2	-	3	21,390,000	7,130,000
    5		Italy	2	4	2	8	60,770,000	7,596,250
    8		Kazakhstan	2	-	-	2	16,558,459	8,279,230
    14		Netherlands	1	1	-	2	16,696,000	8,348,000
    3		France	3	1	3	7	65,436,552	9,348,079
    9		Japan	1	4	6	11	127,817,277	11,619,752
    6		Korea	2	2	2	6	73,000,000	12,166,667
    15		Ukraine	1	-	2	3	45,706,100	15,235,367
    2		United States	5	7	5	17	311,591,917	18,328,936
    20		United Kingdom	-	1	2	3	62,641,000	20,880,333
    19		Colombia	-	2	-	2	46,927,125	23,463,563
    7		Russia	2	-	3	5	141,930,000	28,386,000
    16		South Africa	1	-	-	1	50,586,757	50,586,757
    12		Brazil	1	1	1	3	196,655,014	65,551,671
    1		China	9	5	3	17	1,344,130,000	79,066,471

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    It's all going wrong for Team GB. Our medal prospects seem to be dropping like flies. Even Ben Ainslie is going backwards down the places, and I thought he was nailed on after three successive golds.
    Look at the Germans, nada, zilch, not a sausage. The German press are scathing....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    It's all going wrong for Team GB. Our medal prospects seem to be dropping like flies. Even Ben Ainslie is going backwards down the places, and I thought he was nailed on after three successive golds.
    Sailing has a lot of unpredictability, it's very common to have a few bad races... very very rare for the winner to be top-3 in every race.

It's so normal that they let you discard your worst result.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    went to watch the footy at Old Trafford yesterday.

was a great atmosphere!

Brazil won

Egypt and New Zealand drew but Egypt missed some many sitters at the end they must be gutted!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    If you type "Olympic medal results" into Google, it displays medal results on the rhs. And if you slide the slider all the way down past Romania, Geogia, Brazil, Australia, Netherlands, etc, you see the that the UK has no gold medals yet.

Aren't they supposed to let us win some for hosting?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'm struggling when watching several sports to keep track of the results... the BBC coverage is great but they don't show an on-screen list of results or flick back to one often. So in weightlifting or whatever, you have to remember who did what and it can take a long time.

I can't see a feed of the in-event stats on the BBC site for each event either, am I missing it and if not is this available elsewhere... just a simple "state of play" table is all I am after.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What happened to Front Crawl... I'm sure as a kid they had that AND Freestyle; did I mis-remember? Freestyle looks like front crawl to me anyway, is it the same thing?
    IIRC there never was a Front Crawl event, not in my lifetime anyway. Just Freestyle, in which everyone did the front crawl anyway because it was fastest.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Watching some more sailing. The 49er class is rather amazing, I would hate to sail something so extreme but it's a real showcase for how tech has impacted dinghies. Just hope we get a windy race to see them really flying.

And I see my class (the Laser) has just started too. Memories...

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    It was great and I really enjoyed the finish, she was just ' ' that far from gold. Showed the men a thing or two....
    It was a bl**dy good job she won a medal as I had to down the A3 round the M25 and in on the M3 to get from Roehampton to Barnes yesterday

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    That was a brilliant race by her. Fully deserved a medal. None of that crap about staying in the peloton till the last minute and making a dash for it. Cav should really watch and learn from it.
    It was great and I really enjoyed the finish, she was just ' ' that far from gold. Showed the men a thing or two....

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    C'mon Armitstead!

That was a brilliant race by her. Fully deserved a medal. None of that crap about staying in the peloton till the last minute and making a dash for it. Cav should really watch and learn from it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X