• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is it me or is the latest uTorrent a villainous piece of malware?"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Really? The first 8 results I get are all from mozilla.org. Are you using Google or SKA?

Edit: I should clarify, that's ignoring the sponsored link at the top which I assume most people do.
    I was using ixquick on that attempt.

I don't use Google much any more. When I do it's convinced I want German versions of software so I've got lots of chaff to wade through anyway.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    If by "villainous piece of malware" you mean "tool for scumbags to thieve stuff", then the answer is Yes.
    I mostly use it to backfill the first few episodes of a TV series I missed from the start.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Something I've noticed recently is that there are a host of sites out there which have managed to get ranked in search engines above the official download sites

For example I've just searched for "firefox download" and the first result returned was for "downloadfirefoxbrowser.com".
    Really? The first 8 results I get are all from mozilla.org. Are you using Google or SKA?

Edit: I should clarify, that's ignoring the sponsored link at the top which I assume most people do.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I was just about to suggest that. Are you sure you've not downloaded a repackaged version instead of the genuine article?
    Something I've noticed recently is that there are a host of sites out there which have managed to get ranked in search engines above the official download sites

For example I've just searched for "firefox download" and the first result returned was for "downloadfirefoxbrowser.com".

Never heard of the buggers until they started popping up in searches recently, and the meta stuff in the search result says this:

Firefox download manager, Firefox download for PC, Mozzila firefox download, Best free firefox download. Firefox Download For Windows Today FREE. Surf the web faster with the Mozilla Firefox Download. Download Firefox Browser FREE.
    Spot the different spellings there. Perhaps amateurs, but could be deliberately targeting typos in search terms,

Nope. Not trusting that lot.
    Last edited by Sysman; 30 July 2012, 09:41.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomserveBAS View Post
    Just thinking aloud, but are you sure you are running the official uTorrent client? They had a thing a while ago where somebody was charging for and repackaging their code, you've not ended up with some unofficial build have you?
    I was just about to suggest that. Are you sure you've not downloaded a repackaged version instead of the genuine article?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    That wasn't quite what I meant, but I see your point
    You're supposed to answer "I only use it for linux distros"

Leave a comment:

• ThomserveBAS
    replied
    Just thinking aloud, but are you sure you are running the official uTorrent client? They had a thing a while ago where somebody was charging for and repackaging their code, you've not ended up with some unofficial build have you?

uTorrent always used to be a very lightweight (<1meg) client back when I used Windows.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post

If by "villainous piece of malware" you mean "tool for scumbags to thieve stuff", then the answer is Yes.
    That wasn't quite what I meant, but I see your point

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Who's sockie is this?
    Probably your own

Leave a comment:

• sog
    replied
    And it seems like all windows apps today have a Toolbar to install, if you aren't careful and don't uncheck it during the installation you'll get new crapware.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    How secure are VMs as sandboxes? I've got a couple installed but have hardly used them it since I first installed them. Think I got bored, plus I've got an old PC I can use if I want to torrent.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Why not keep an old PC on which to run any dodgy software.

Java and Adobe seem to be the same, in the sense of always seeming to want to update.
    Use a VM grandad.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Who's sockie is this?
    Id wager that you have spent more time on virtualisation than you ever have done on your "plan B".

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    What a complete waste of time.
    Who's sockie is this?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X