• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it me or is the latest uTorrent a villainous piece of malware?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How secure are VMs as sandboxes? I've got a couple installed but have hardly used them it since I first installed them. Think I got bored, plus I've got an old PC I can use if I want to torrent.

Comment

And it seems like all windows apps today have a Toolbar to install, if you aren't careful and don't uncheck it during the installation you'll get new crapware.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Who's sockie is this?
        Probably your own
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

If by "villainous piece of malware" you mean "tool for scumbags to thieve stuff", then the answer is Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post

If by "villainous piece of malware" you mean "tool for scumbags to thieve stuff", then the answer is Yes.
            That wasn't quite what I meant, but I see your point
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Just thinking aloud, but are you sure you are running the official uTorrent client? They had a thing a while ago where somebody was charging for and repackaging their code, you've not ended up with some unofficial build have you?

uTorrent always used to be a very lightweight (<1meg) client back when I used Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                That wasn't quite what I meant, but I see your point
                You're supposed to answer "I only use it for linux distros"
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by ThomserveBAS View Post
                  Just thinking aloud, but are you sure you are running the official uTorrent client? They had a thing a while ago where somebody was charging for and repackaging their code, you've not ended up with some unofficial build have you?
                  I was just about to suggest that. Are you sure you've not downloaded a repackaged version instead of the genuine article?
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    I was just about to suggest that. Are you sure you've not downloaded a repackaged version instead of the genuine article?
                    Something I've noticed recently is that there are a host of sites out there which have managed to get ranked in search engines above the official download sites

For example I've just searched for "firefox download" and the first result returned was for "downloadfirefoxbrowser.com".

Never heard of the buggers until they started popping up in searches recently, and the meta stuff in the search result says this:

Firefox download manager, Firefox download for PC, Mozzila firefox download, Best free firefox download. Firefox Download For Windows Today FREE. Surf the web faster with the Mozilla Firefox Download. Download Firefox Browser FREE.
                    Spot the different spellings there. Perhaps amateurs, but could be deliberately targeting typos in search terms,

Nope. Not trusting that lot.
                    Last edited by Sysman; 30 July 2012, 09:41.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                      Something I've noticed recently is that there are a host of sites out there which have managed to get ranked in search engines above the official download sites

For example I've just searched for "firefox download" and the first result returned was for "downloadfirefoxbrowser.com".
                      Really? The first 8 results I get are all from mozilla.org. Are you using Google or SKA?

Edit: I should clarify, that's ignoring the sponsored link at the top which I assume most people do.

Comment

Working...
                      X