• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "From the mouths of babes"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    I am teaching my kids to find as many ways as legally possible to minimise their contributions.
    Of course you are, you tax-dodging scumbag. The apples never fall far from the tree eh?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

I am "friends" on facebook with someone who bakes cakes, makes wedding invites and a variety of other small side lines, I am sure the tax man knows nothing of those earnings
    Are they a pensioner? That makes it even worse - They should be more than capable of surviving on their state pension!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    a thin line.

The History Place - Hitler Youth: Prelude to War 1933-1939

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Stuff the kids, I will be calling hector if I know someone is on the fiddle!

I am "friends" on facebook with someone who bakes cakes, makes wedding invites and a variety of other small side lines, I am sure the tax man knows nothing of those earnings

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    And how do you feel about it when the country where you applied for and got citizenship adopts a similar policy?

Pretty gutted I would think.

( on your behalf)
    I think grassing on cash in hand payments doesn't really equate to having a secret security force like the NKVD.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Minors don't tend to have the capacity to understand grey areas of morality.*
    In this case the difference between evasion and avoidance.

So they are very good at reporting "wrong doings" to authority.

So if you happened to pay your Polish cleaner in cash, even if the cleaner was doing everything legit because they actually have a well-run cleaning company with lots of local clients, the kid would report the transaction as being "wrong" even when it's not.

*The random ones who do are little tulips.
    precisely. Anyone who speaks yiddish dragged away in the night.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    In my school we were taught to tell your school's NKVD officer if your parents told something bad about the Govt.
    And how do you feel about it when the country where you applied for and got citizenship adopts a similar policy?

Pretty gutted I would think.

( on your behalf)

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Asking minors to make those distinctions and report them is most definitely unsavoury, but of course any person has a responsibility to report when they see a law broken. I'm not sure I want an 11 year old encouraged to do it for taxation though.
    Minors don't tend to have the capacity to understand grey areas of morality.*
    In this case the difference between evasion and avoidance.

So they are very good at reporting "wrong doings" to authority.

So if you happened to pay your Polish cleaner in cash, even if the cleaner was doing everything legit because they actually have a well-run cleaning company with lots of local clients, the kid would report the transaction as being "wrong" even when it's not.

*The random ones who do are little tulips.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    Are you taking the mick or were you seriously a resident of the USSR?
    When you work with people who lived under communism they tell stories like that as if it's a matter of well known fact.

It makes you scared, very scared because the UK is becoming like their former states and we are supposedly a democracy.......

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Actually it says

“What do students think about people who try to avoid paying taxes? Is it a victimless crime? What kind of penalties should such people be given when they are caught?”
    in the example its refuse. Neither are evasion. I can refuse to pay for a gardener and do it myself, its not illegal. I can also refuse to pay for a gardener and concrete my garden over subject to the correct observance of the planning law. not illegal.

I can choose to hold a bunch of chinamen hostage in my cellar to do my garden that is illegal. I can also claim on my parliamentary expenses to do my garden, both of those are illegal.

I can claim disability living allowance and spend my life in a wheelchair with crippling pain with a genuine illness. Not illegal.

I can claim disability allowance for a bad back and take up body building, ballroom dancing etc. likely to be illegal.

the borders are being blurred intentionally. Asking minors to make those distinctions and report them is most definitely unsavoury, but of course any person has a responsibility to report when they see a law broken. I'm not sure I want an 11 year old encouraged to do it for taxation though.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    AtW is our genuine unreconstructed top-down rules oriented Soviet

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    In my school we were taught to tell your school's NKVD officer if your parents told something bad about the Govt.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    They despise us. But they have no idea how much we despise them. There's 656 of them, 60 milion of us and one day, that will be their undoing.
    I really wish I could believe that, but unfortunately apathy, marketing and consumerism have killed the freewill of the majority, and they don't even know it.

I'd add though, having read the full thing, that I can't really find anything that offensive in there; other than the translation of "cost per individual" and the very small pie chart area for Corp tax and VAT. I simply do not believe the VAT figures at all.
    Last edited by Scoobos; 27 July 2012, 15:49.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X