• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is London mayhem yet?"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
    It's pretty awful. Our office in Holborn and there have been major problems on the central line (the main line to Stratford). Yesterday there were also problems with the metropolitan and circle lines. Funnily enough the press is choosing not to report it.
    It was reported on the local London news.

Well they had no choice as they have to do the travel announcements.

Leave a comment:

• Martin@AS Financial
    replied
    It's pretty awful. Our office in Holborn and there have been major problems on the central line (the main line to Stratford). Yesterday there were also problems with the metropolitan and circle lines. Funnily enough the press is choosing not to report it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    M3 was quiet this morning, probably more so than usual ... although I was not expecting a large traffic increase TBH
    Hopefully the scaremongering has increased publicity of the changes and led to people steering clear.

One might even say that causing a few jams last week on purpose to generate headlines is a very effective way to make the main event a success.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    M3 was quiet this morning, probably more so than usual ... although I was not expecting a large traffic increase TBH

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I had not heard about the bike confiscation bit - I will make sure I don't get caught. Cheers.
    Apparently as most of the lanes are on the off-side of the road so you shouldn't be cycling in them anyway.

If they are on the near side as a cyclist you can use them to avoid fatalities. Though I wouldn't trust the drivers in them.

Press Association

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    fewer

I'm avoiding the M11 on friday evening, driving back from Cambridge - I'll cut across to the A1, then round the M25 to the M1 and round the north circular to Hangar Lane and into West London that way

Bloody Olympics - Can't be over quick enough!
    The north and south circulars are suppose to still have grid locked traffic.

I know from the traffic reports the North Circular has been having problems.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    There are less cars on the road thanks to the school holidays, and as they changed the phasing of the lights around the whole of London last week, even in non-Olympic venue areas, most people quickly learnt to stay of the roads if possible.
    fewer

I'm avoiding the M11 on friday evening, driving back from Cambridge - I'll cut across to the A1, then round the M25 to the M1 and round the north circular to Hangar Lane and into West London that way

Bloody Olympics - Can't be over quick enough!

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    been really calm on the M4.. weirdly.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    MTT would pay £20 for the women's football. Well he would for the post match bath.
    I'm too busy with the womens volleyball teams.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    £20 for a ticket is cheap, it's £20 for women's football that's the issue
    MTT would pay £20 for the women's football. Well he would for the post match bath.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Dallas View Post
    Brillo: if they catch you apparently its £130 on the spot or bike confiscation - if they catch you
    I had not heard about the bike confiscation bit - I will make sure I don't get caught. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    +1

I thought it particularly quiet this morning. Though I cycled in the olympic lanes anyway.
    Just ride a time trial bike and stick a number on your skin tight vest. If anyone asks what you're doing, wave a flag from an imaginary ex-Soviet country, shout 'lkasdgl asdkj e eksoa t aoodjgflkn!!!!!! TRAINING NOW TRAINING NOW YOU ASK MR PUTIN!'

Leave a comment:

• IR35FanClub
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    GB women open the Olympic Games with their first football match tonight.

Though at £20 a ticket they are having a laugh.
    And i thought taking a contract in Coventry meant I was avoiding the olympics. Imagine my suprise last week when our work bulletin pointed out the fact that the train station will be handling an extra 20-60,000 people tonight (i hope everyone drives) and a few nights over the next few weeks. Im hoping to squeeeeeeze out between the 2 matches at about 5:15.

If its excrement ill WFH next time.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    I'd be tempted to go and have a look, if the match is rubbish just leave early.
    I would if I lived here but I'd rather get back home, I did try and get mens team GB tickets but I left it too late.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Tickets are free around here, still not going.
    I'd be tempted to go and have a look, if the match is rubbish just leave early.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X